Free Load Of Black Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
For me, courtesy of the city recycle area. Must of been dead for awhile since most of it is very light weight. Was also kind a tough on the chains. This will mix in well with all the Oak I have and put me close to 4 years ahead.

Attachments

• 100_1592.jpg
    100_1592.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 592
Good stuff! It iis hard on the chains, but worth it! 95% of my wood for this year is Black Locust.

Niiice.

Todd said:
Must of been dead for awhile since most of it is very light weight.
Nice! Can't beat free, bucked, dry BL. :coolsmile:
I've never burned it but this year got 1/3 cord that was lying around, dead. That stuff is around 15% but still not what I'd call light. It must weigh a ton green...

Good stuff. You will like it. I picked up 6 cords in March from one scrounge. I cant wait until next year when I get to use. I have a bit mixed into my stacks for this year though.

I've scored lots of BL from the same place many times. Takes a little longer to get going but burns hot and long. I don't think the locals know how good it really is. Someone passed it up for the Silver Maple and Cottonwood that was right next to it. I could probably go back for a couple loads of Silver Maple but I'm running out of room, so I'll stick to the good stuff when I see it.

Todd said:
For me, courtesy of the city recycle area. Must of been dead for awhile since most of it is very light weight. Was also kind a tough on the chains. This will mix in well with all the Oak I have and put me close to 4 years ahead.

Tough on the chains but easy on the heating bill, nice score Todd.

zap

Nice load of locust,I have some for this year.Our county leaf dump used to let us load whatever wood we could without running a saw and I usually got half a truck load whenever I was there but they stopped a year or two ago due to the EAB.

Nice score... :coolsmile:

Nice score Todd - 4 years ahead is the sweet spot! How many cord do you burn per year? I'd like to get some BL to try, but I've had a good run of red oak over the past 2 years, so can't complain (unless it never dries :cheese: ). Cheers!

That is what will be heating this joint in the chilly weather too. I'm looking forward to the long burn.

Love it, love it, love it. I have about 2 cords of BL for this years coldest days, and about 4 cords for next year - thanks to hurricane Irene

Sweet score . . . buddy of mine FBooked me and said he was going to cut some black locust and wanted to know if I wanted any . . . I can only hope and pray he saves me some.

Woody Stover said:
Todd said:
Must of been dead for awhile since most of it is very light weight.
Nice! Can't beat free, bucked, dry BL. :coolsmile:
I've never burned it but this year got 1/3 cord that was lying around, dead. That stuff is around 15% but still not what I'd call light. It must weigh a ton green...

BL is pretty low moisture when green so it doesn't weigh too much more green than it does seasoned.

NH_Wood said:
Nice score Todd - 4 years ahead is the sweet spot! How many cord do you burn per year? I'd like to get some BL to try, but I've had a good run of red oak over the past 2 years, so can't complain (unless it never dries :cheese: ). Cheers!

I've been averaging about 3 cords per year, gettin close to 12 cords on hand.

SCORE! My buddy also came through for me and I have a pile of black locust that he even bucked up for me.

firefighterjake said:
SCORE! My buddy also came through for me and I have a pile of black locust that he even bucked up for me.

That's awesome, hope you tipped him well.

That will burn much too hot for your stove.....I will dispose of it for you! ;-)

Todd said:
firefighterjake said:

That's awesome, hope you tipped him well.

I offered to buy him lunch . . . he declined . . . but since this was a clean up from a job site he did ask if I would be willing to haul away the branches and throw them on my burn pile . . . a very fair trade . . . I save him a trip and he gets me some prime wood (which I split up last night).

Status
Not open for further replies.