free locust and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given three locust trees about 2 cords worth. If split now will it be ready for next winter.

Yes
Locust is a low moisture wood. 1 year CSS in good air circulation. Should be good to go :)

Nice score

I was given three locust trees about 2 cords worth. If split now will it be ready for next winter.
Amen,ready and willing to keep you smokin warm.

Have to disagree, maybe it's my conditions but last year my BL was 18 mo C/S/S'd and it was marginal. BL I've cut has been 35-40% IIRC when freshly cut so I don't know how low moisture it is. Definitely not like ash though not as wet as oak. If you do everything right and have a nice windy location then maybe but presumably you'll start to need it next November or so. Already that would be less than a year. I'd get right on it.

If you split it on the small side you should have a good shot. Be sure to post your readings next year. Stack in single rows off the ground in the sun.

I have a small amount that was under 20% in less than a year, I do have a great spot for seasoning wood and since I only had a little I stacked it single file in the rack.

It should be OK in a year, but it will be REALLY good in two years. I guess the general rule of thumb is to get at least two years ahead, three if possible. You almost NEED three years with wood like oak, but everything else I give a minimum of two years and I have no problems whatsoever. Keep in mind, the bigger your splits are, the longer it will take to season. I used to make my splits really big.......nowadays I make almost all of them between 4" and 5". Any rounds that are over 5" get split at least once. My wood seasons much faster that way, and I think I can get more wood in the stove with the smaller splits (seems I can utilize the space in the firebox better).

Reactions: albert1029
Locust, if it was me one year is more than enough and in a pinch I would use it at the end of this season..... Seems I get some kind of boring insects in all my yellow wood if left to long.

I'll have to agree with Scotty. I like it when it is at least 2 years old. Sure, it will burn after a year. However, the extra year or two will be quite an improvement. It really puts out the heat. I used to leave it in bigger splits, but I don't anymore. Seasons a lot quicker.

I think it depends a lot on how you stack it. It will be a lot drier if stacked in a windy spot, with plenty of air space between the splits, and kept up off the ground. Is it Black or Honey Locust?

Status
Not open for further replies.