free locust tree + silver maple = 22 ton huskie log splitter "pics added"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimosufan

Aug 16, 2010
Dayton, OH
Ok pics as soon I get it all moved. Locust had 22 trunk. Best thing about this score 1.5 miles from the house. Its where I grew up as a kid. Neighbors had the locust cut down. And parents had the silver maple cut down. The maple is closer to 16" that my stove likes, however the locust will need further processing. What a killer SCORE ALL FREE except the splitter I bought. This way, with the splitter I wont have to pass up other free wood in the future.

Oh that sounds great! That splitter should be able to handle that very easy too.

jimosufan said:
Ok pics as soon I get it all moved. Locust had 22 trunk. Best thing about this score 1.5 miles from the house. Its where I grew up as a kid. Neighbors had the locust cut down. And parents had the silver maple cut down. The maple is closer to 16" that my stove likes, however the locust will need further processing. What a killer SCORE ALL FREE except the splitter I bought. This way, with the splitter I wont have to pass up other free wood in the future.

Buckeye Fan = Big Score. Jim nice score and have fun with the splitter.

Zap

Thanks Dennis, Zap. Getting ready to finish loading the rounds, and split the monster rounds so they can be moved. Trying very hard to get ahead. My goal is to have 12 cords on hand, that way I'll have seasoned wood.

jimosufan said:
Thanks Dennis, Zap. Getting ready to finish loading the rounds, and split the monster rounds so they can be moved. Trying very hard to get ahead. My goal is to have 12 cords on hand, that way I'll have seasoned wood.

Smart man! Cheers!

big part of the trunk is split. Wow a lot lot of work for a 1 man crew. As for pics when I can figure out how to make them small enough I'll post them. I am wiped out in a good way, its amazing how much wood it takes to make a cord. Curious to see what I get out of the Locust tree. Lots of 16" rounds to split, and others to buck yet. Those 22" to 24" trunk pieces sure can make a lot of splits, One of them took me an hour to get split. Haven't even touched the silver maple yet, but the guys who fell it bucked in 16 to 18 rounds, should go much faster. Btw I need a bigger saw, maybe next year I can justify that purchase. You guys on this site ROCK! Thanks for all the free advice, Jim

jimosufan said:
big part of the trunk is split. Wow a lot lot of work for a 1 man crew. As for pics when I can figure out how to make them small enough I'll post them. I am wiped out in a good way, its amazing how much wood it takes to make a cord. Curious to see what I get out of the Locust tree. Lots of 16" rounds to split, and others to buck yet. Those 22" to 24" trunk pieces sure can make a lot of splits, One of them took me an hour to get split. Haven't even touched the silver maple yet, but the guys who fell it bucked in 16 to 18 rounds, should go much faster. Btw I need a bigger saw, maybe next year I can justify that purchase. You guys on this site ROCK! Thanks for all the free advice, Jim

Time to update your sig. line. Good job on the wood! Now, just score some big wood, then you have all the justification you need for a new saw. :cheese: I buy magazines for rifles I don't own, justifies the purchase of the new toy.

Jim, where are you at? I'm in Bellbrook. Nice score BTW.

fv

Fv, I'm in Englewood. thanks

here's some pics if they turn out. 1st pic wood on hand. 2nd pic Locust that needs split. 3rd pic 22" to 24" Locust rounds already split so they could be moved "used the new huskee". Silver maple pics soon if this works.

Attachments

• 005 (640x480).jpg
    005 (640x480).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 006 (640x480).jpg
    006 (640x480).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 007 (640x480).jpg
    007 (640x480).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 279
Status
Not open for further replies.