Free pallets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I have seen several people mention that they get their pallets for free. I have been able to scrounge a few nice pallets but have mostly found the cheap, disposable ones that I question will be able to hold up for a couple years while the wood is drying.

What are your sources for good quality, free pallets?

Check at your local gasoline stations also.

Shari

Patio paver and brick/stove companies. Pool Supply companies. Liquor stores. Lawn & Garden Centers.

Always ask before taking. Some stores participate in pallet recycling.

Thanks. I should've said I've been watching Craigslist. I hadn't thought of a liquor store. I'll give that a try.

I did score one good one and several less than ideal ones last week from a print shop so I will add that one to that to the suggestions for others who are reading the thread.

contact a local pallet recycler. I just picked up a truck load of the real heavy plastic pallets .They get returned mixed in with the wood ones and they are more than happy to give them to you.I also pick up several pallet loads of scrap runners and slats that have been sheared off old pallets ,they burn great in my boiler.

They're on craigslist regularly around here...free for the pick up. Rick

I am a regular visitor to the local shopping news and newspaper unloading docks for pallets. I play the law of averages and haul away one pallet for every 20 to 30 pallets I inspect.

Jackpine

I just started getting some pallets from a local liquior store. I am a little concerned they might not hold up, but I have lots of split wood I need to stack and I feel as though I need to get this stuff stacked. Is there a recommended height when stacking on pallets? This is all new to me. I am a newbie to the wood stove and burning.

BucksCounty said:
I just started getting some pallets from a local liquior store. I am a little concerned they might not hold up, but I have lots of split wood I need to stack and I feel as though I need to get this stuff stacked. Is there a recommended height when stacking on pallets? This is all new to me. I am a newbie to the wood stove and burning.

Don't worry about weight. These pallets distribute weight well. The stack on the right is holding two cords. The one on the left is a little narrower and holds about 1.8 cords, the balance in the background. I have pallets from 5 yrs ago still going strong. The key is good drainage where you have the pallets. If it's in a wet environment, don't expect much more than a few years before they start to rot.

Attachments

• Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 991
Are those piles on two pallets deep and one wide ? I was wondering about building one of those HH stacks on a pallet.
How long do you keep them stacked before burning? They seem about 6 ft high and 4 ft diameter.

Thanks

Hurricane said:
Are those piles on two pallets deep and one wide ? I was wondering about building one of those HH stacks on a pallet.
How long do you keep them stacked before burning? They seem about 6 ft high and 4 ft diameter.

Thanks

4 pallets for the base, 7 foot circle and 7.5' to 8' in height. I use an extra pallet (shown in the pic on the right) as a ladder to get to the top. This is my first year burning so I am new to this type of stack. I plan to have 9 cord by spring so I need to use my sunny space efficiently. This will be aged 1 year in Dec 2009 and I hope it's dry by then.

I'm gonna have to get me one of them thar pallet stoves I've been hearin so much about. Direct vent, is that right? %-P

Adios Pantalones said:
Steel/metal suppliers.

That's a very good source of strong 4X4 long pallets. We share a warehouse with an office furniture supplier. They've got long pallets all the time 4'X8-10'. I like the long ones for stacking on because my ground is uneven. Try your local feed store too. Even good strong used ones can be bought for $4 each so it's not too much of an investment. Just tell them that you don't need the straight ones and you'll give them $2.50 a pallet and any pallet junk man should jump since it's all profit for them and it's hard to get rid of the odd sized ones.

Mine (super heavy duty) came from a farmer friend. Was used to haul seed and herbicide.

I get mine from a local distributor of some goods. I can't quite figure out what they do but they have a sign on the road that says "Free Pallets" in the back. I go every so often and take what I need. I think I'm up to 24 pallets now.

When they get to a point where they look like their falling apart, I cut them up and use them in campfire pit or chiminea on the deck.

Just drive through a commercial area and check out the loading docks. Stop and ask, they would probably love to get rid of them

Adios Pantalones said:
Steel/metal suppliers.

AP, you always a great source of information! Just Googled steel suppliers and the first call I made seems to have me hooked up for life.

Just as Risser09 says, check out commercial loading areas.

Think food service. I drive for a food service distributor in CT. I see pallets all day long. Check the nursing home recieving areas, schools, just basically around the back of any commercial building.

These pallets tend to get in the way, so we are always looking to lose a few. Of course the good ones will make it to my house.

KC

I work at a Ford Dealership and I asked our parts department if they have any I would take them. They were throwing them out in the past. I have four in my truck from today!!! He even has guys dropping them off from now on. I am stacking for the first time this spring and I will definitely need them. One of my customers dropped off 8 4x6 pallets made of 2x4. I have been burning them the past 5 days as I am low on firewood. Keep asking and it will e easy to find them.

myzamboni said:
Patio paver and brick/stove companies. Pool Supply companies. Liquor stores. Lawn & Garden Centers.

Always ask before taking. Some stores participate in pallet recycling.

Excellent post.

If you can find good pallets they're also good for building stuff. I've made wood racks out of them, a compost bin, a mini shed for the garbage cans, etc... I even made a rack out of pallets to hold cut up pallet wood :)

for those people who've done a lot of pallets, a question:

how would you compare the work of busting up pallets, storing and burning them compared to the work of bucking and splitting cordwood, stacking and hauling it?

I'm guessing pallets are dryer wood, so you get more heat out of them per pound wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.