Free Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenstogie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2012
Albany (ish)
So I aquired for free an Englander stove works 25pdvc pellet stove. The lady who had it is moving, said it worked fine last year for her uncle, and gave me all the pipes. I turned it on an all the fans seemed to work and the augers too as it was spitting out pellets at varied rates depending on the control panel speeds.

I would like to install it and service it myself.

Installlation does not look that difficult to me. Not that I am Norm Abrams but am fairly handy and even clean and service my own Oil furnace. I have read the below threads as a starter and am learning more and more from continuing to read and asking my friends who have switched to primarily heating with Pellets. I have also of course read the manual which is fairly informative.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_pelletstove
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...et-and-corn-appliances-read-this-first.11416/

For those of you who have installed/own/maintain or even looked at pellet stoves, what are your thoughts, concerns, safety warnings etc?

[
Hello Kenstogie,
I too am new to the pellet stoves. I just posted about my, new to me, stove. Here is my advice to you coming from my situation. If it is possible to hook your stove up temporarily and run it for an extended period of time I would definatly do so...
I spent the time putting mine in, which wasn't that difficult, but it is giving me trouble and if you know anything by now you know that these stoves are HEAVY. Save yourself some time (and back ache) by running and getting familliar with your stove before putting it in permantly.... That way you know all about it and if it has problems at first...

Mike

Real simple, go on Englander's website and pull off the manual. This will have your installation instructions, when you purchase your t's and other pipes you may not have do not hesitate to ask questions! Most importantly read the various installation threads out here, follow the manufacturers guidelines, put in a good surge suppressor, make sure you have a CO2 and smoke detector installed, AND ENJOY!!!!

If your fairly handy and have common sense and can follow directions it shouldn't be too bad.

That being said, even Norm would have Richard install his.

this_old_house_crew.jpg

Great, two new free stove owners today. Both in the right place at the right time!

Good Luck.

You can run it in the driveway to test.

wow thanks for the replies, its great to get the encouragement :) pyro mine is a stand alone so access for repair should be E Z :) FMSM, love Boston and have been there many many timess, a smoke and co2 detector is definately on my shopping list and I have read the manual, whick0h makes it sound pretty straight foward :) Smokeshow i wish i had a Richard to do it for me but even though i dont i have two good hands and some brain matter so I should be good. Bill 3 rail, i will definately do the driveway test to test it out, grrrreat idea!

Reactions: smoke show
Welcome to the Forums.

Read the manual and follow all install instructions. Englander makes a good unit. The PDVC is a small unit, but is a workhorse for MANY people here.

Looking forward to install pics ;)

i am glad its a good unit with a go8d rep, i know its built like a tank or weighs nearly as much any way.

Welcome from downstate. In the future, put your stove make & model in the title so more people that know about that stove will respond....something like "Just got a free 25pdvc....have questions", or something like that.

If you need more info about that particular stove, give Englander Tech support a call and have the serial & model # handy....they are the best in the business.

In addition, Mike Holton is a member on this forum....he's the Senior Tech at Englander and is always willing to help.....you may see him around going by "stoveguy2esw".

Now that is my kind of deal!

Tom C.

wow i guess Englsnder has a good rep 'round these parts, thats good to know. truth be told i was sick of paying outragous coin for oil and this popped up on craigslist, i called IMMEDIATELY and jumped in the girlfriends truck and picked it up. took a little humping up stairs and getting on her truck but real tough part wss getting it off the truck by myself.

Ken, I'm new to pellet stoves as well. I did quite a bit of research and based on my budget and the general satisfaction of Englander owners on this forum, I just bought an Englander myself (55-TRP22) and am in the middle of installing it. Part of my reason for buying an Englander was the support I've already received from them, even before I pulled the trigger on the stove. You'll find that their lead service technician is a member of this forum. Mike has been very helpful to me, helping me avoid mistakes and giving me advice along the way.

BTW, I'm about an hour north of Albany (if Albany(ish) refers to Albany, NY that is... :)) Good to see another upstater on here.

Reactions: kenstogie
yup i live in e greenbush across the river from albany and am figuring out the stove instal now. i should be in good shape i figurethis weekend i am going to get it done. if you (or anyone) knows of good threads or youtube videos or websights ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.