Free Pine and Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can impress everyone with the huge armload of pine you can carry in.

You'll be doing that twice as often, too.

I've burned eastern white pine and cedar.
I let oak and pine season two years to be safe, so I know not about creosote.

I'll burn pine , but I've also left it behind in favor of the oak and cherry..

SolarAndWood said:
gzecc said:
So if your working for wood, you need to work twice, or three times as long for the same burn.

I'm more than happy to put whatever work is required into whatever someone freely delivers as long as it isn't rotten. Sadly, I haven't reached the 'they deliver it to me for free' level of scrounging evolution yet. What's the secret Pepp?

It's easy. I get pine delivered to my house. See someone cutting down pine. Ask them if they are taking it to the dump(most are). Offer to let them dump it in your yard for free(the dump charges $120 per ton). Actualy, I get about half or more of my wood from the dump. For Free.

Dunebilly said:
SolarAndWood said:
gzecc said:
So if your working for wood, you need to work twice, or three times as long for the same burn.

I'm more than happy to put whatever work is required into whatever someone freely delivers as long as it isn't rotten. Sadly, I haven't reached the 'they deliver it to me for free' level of scrounging evolution yet. What's the secret Pepp?

It's easy. I get pine delivered to my house. See someone cutting down pine. Ask them if they are taking it to the dump(most are). Offer to let them dump it in your yard for free(the dump charges $120 per ton). Actualy, I get about half or more of my wood from the dump. For Free.

I'm on that game...came home with a cord of locust from the city mulch pile tonight. Unfortunately, I couldn't lift the big ones and didn't have a maul in my truck. There is at least another cord there if someone is inclined to go through the pile tonight. Looks like more locust and maple. The payloader will make it disappear first thing in the morning.

Attachments

• locust rounds at the mulch pile.jpg
    locust rounds at the mulch pile.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 266
Nice score. You can't beat locust.

Dunebilly said:
Sadly, our local dump definitely does not allow you to remove wood already on site. Everything there from little branches to 2-3 ft logs gets chipped. So you have to get the wood from a tree guy or a neighbor before it ever hits the dump.

They tried that B.S. here too. No dump picking is allowed at all, except they do allow the citizens to take a compost that they make from all the brush and leaves and chips. When we pointed out that the wood was an ingrediant of the compost, their hypocricy was exposed, and they relented.

You are not supposed to dump anything over 4" where those locust blocks were sitting. It turns into a free for all after the boys are done on Saturday until they get back Monday morning. I wish I had time last night to grab another load or two. When I went by on my way to the office this morning, the payloader had already had its way with the pile. While I was grabbing that load, I did give my number to another tree guy who noticed what I was up to. They said they would give me a call later this week.

Bigg_Redd said:
Just having pine on the property is enough to cause a chimney fire in most chimneys.

That is the best source of free wood around here. It would be nice if burning wood at all was made known to be a source of chimney fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.