Free Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
we are about to take down a big pine, and i was talking to my father-in-law and my stepfather and they both at the same time said "You can't burn pine in a wood stove, there's too much creosote". I promptly responded with.

"no, you go blind if you burn pine. that's what happens" and they looked at me funny.

Then I went on to explain them that half of colorado only burns pine because that is what is available, and if you dry it out properly, you don't have to worry....

Reactions: Seanm
I had the "no pine" talk with our maintenence guy at work the other day. At the end of it, he still knew what he knew and I knew what I know. So, alot of wasted words but oh well.

I'd burn it.

Then I went on to explain them that half of colorado only burns pine because that is what is available, and if you dry it out properly, you don't have to worry....

As do probably 3/4 of the wood burners in the Pacific NW (various members of the pine family, including douglas fir and hemlock).

I wonder if they might be more receptive to the message if you give them room to be partially right:

"Because pine can easily burn fast and hot, it can be what sets off a fire in a chimney that has already accumulated a lot of creosote, so make sure you have a clean chimney if you're going to burn pine.

But don't forget that if you find you have a filthy chimney, it's a sign you need to dry all your wood more, regardless of species."

As do probably 3/4 of the wood burners in the Pacific NW (various members of the pine family, including douglas fir and hemlock).

I wonder if they might be more receptive to the message if you give them room to be partially right:

"Because pine can easily burn fast and hot, it can be what sets off a fire in a chimney that has already accumulated a lot of creosote, so make sure you have a clean chimney if you're going to burn pine.

But don't forget that if you find you have a filthy chimney, it's a sign you need to dry all your wood more, regardless of species."

i went into it a little bit about how pine burns hotter, and the sap is annoying, but creosote is only formed by having wet wood and incorrect temps. The funny thing is they were both telling me that I needed to cover my wood piles and season it correctly last year.... i got out a moisture meter to show them what makes wood dry.... we tested some 2x4, some willow, some pine, some aspen, some honey locust, and some russian olive.

it was too hot to have a fire with any of it!

Reactions: Burnslodgepole
i did get some free pine the other day that I just threw in the fire pit. it literally turned to dust when i tried to split it....

2917a69647aac0fc9a859e0d5d1f75ef.jpg

As requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our most abundant wood around the Canadian Rockies is lodgepole pine. We pay $150 a cord for it here but I prefer to go out and cut it myself. No one gives pine away in our area because its to valuable.

i did get some free pine the other day that I just threw in the fire pit. it literally turned to dust when i tried to split it....
Pine regularly splits just like hardwood - some pieces are easy, some are full of knots. You probably got some punky, old pine.

I got a free load a while back. Split two rounds, got covered in sap, and threw in the towel. I'm almost three years ahead, and I just don't want to deal with the mess. My neighbor with an outside boiler is happy to take it and I'm happy to give it.

Growing up we burned a lot of evergreen in the fireplace and wood stove, cedar fence rails, scrap 2X’s and fallen limbs from pine trees in the neighborhood plus the hard wood. My father still burns 2X’s from some additions people have built nearby, a lot of good wood that would otherwise go in a dumpster. Our chimneys never had much of a buildup. I’m burning pine and cedar for the fall season, saving my hardwood till we’re into December. I don’t throw heavily sappy wood in until a good hot fire is established and the flue is warm.

My boiler eats almost 100 percent pine in the shoulder seasons. I would not hesitate to burn it inside if we had an indoor stove. You learn to avoid the sticky stuff getting on your clothes with some practice, and letting it set for a few months in the round before splitting helps an awful lot.

I got a free load a while back. Split two rounds, got covered in sap, and threw in the towel. I'm almost three years ahead, and I just don't want to deal with the mess. My neighbor with an outside boiler is happy to take it and I'm happy to give it.

I have a tree service that dumps rounds and chips (we mulch garden and orchard with them) and they recently dumped the 3rd 12 yard truck load of huge ponderosa pine rounds in the yard. They are a pain to move and deal with because they are too heavy, but several folks on here suggested that I wait until it is very cold (single digits) for several days and split them into chunks. I did some more reading about it and it appears to work as described. Going to try it out this winter and will see if I agree because those things will eat wedges right now and it is tough going. Once split they seem to dry out quick and I have several cords of the stuff for the Blaze King. Part of the first load was red cedar and I am sorry I ever messed with it - it was impossible to split without having odd shapes and it was the most twisted tree I can imagine, but I will burn it eventually.

Will see if they are correct - I still have many years worth of Fir to drop behind the house where I am going to level off an acre and more going up the hill that we will thin out for a lightly forested pasture.

Status
Not open for further replies.