Free Score this afternoon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
Driving my daughter back from the library today, turn on to my road and see a sign for free firewood. Drive to the next street over and see the wood. Back home, change clothes, grab the truck and off I go. The wood was very large, and I had the wrong hand truck. Go back home, hook up the trailer, grab the other hand truck and 30 minutes later I am done loading. Arms are screaming and back home. Not bad. Trailer is a 6 x 12 with 24" sides.

Attachments

• DSCN1374.JPG
    DSCN1374.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 799
  • DSCN1375.JPG
    DSCN1375.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 879
Good Score!!!!!!

I'm jealous :( great score!!

I like the hand truck as well. Good idea!

You must have a great daughter who spent some time in the library the day before Thanksgiving, so how did you reward her for this "free score". Please don't tell us it will help keep her warm this winter.

Happy T day to you, and all my friends and mentors on hearth.com.You too Craig for making this possible.

Wow great haul on some good firewood!!

Ray

Much better than my "free score." This fall with the leaves down I noticed my neighbor had two large oaks down in his woods. He said I could have it but in the process I damaged my saw and my friends too! My "free" score probably cost me a couple of hundred bucks!

My youngest daughter loves school and we never have to bug her about her homework, and she is honor roll. She wanted to go get some books to read over the Thanksgiving holiday and on the return trip, we saw the sign. I could walk from my house to where the wood was in 4 minutes. It is oak and they are large, and heavy. I left 3 pieces that where just to big to move. I am going back Friday and rip them in half with the saw. Lucky score on the wood, but I am more blessed with my two daughters.

I guess you will have to change your screenname now (to pineandoakwoodburner)

myzamboni said:

damn you myzamboni you beat me to it. well ill just pretend you didnt post.

that doesnt look like pine to me pinewoodburner. looks like you're gunna have to make an exception...or send it to me :)

thebeatlesrgood said:
myzamboni said:

damn you myzamboni you beat me to it. well ill just pretend you didnt post.

that doesnt look like pine to me pinewoodburner. looks like you're gunna have to make an exception...or send it to me :)

That's funny I didn't know that pine was firewood.... My stove is allergic to pine..

Ray

I will burn pine, but almost no one else here in Va does. Everyone thinks pine will clog your flue and you will have a chimney fire. I will burn other woods when forced to. I prefer the oak when it is really cold or for overnight burns, but like today when it was close to 50, pine works just fine. Free wood to me is free wood. Most of the pine here just goes to the landfill. If it is already cut, I will take it, pine or oak.

kenny chaos said:
You burn wood when it's 50?

It sounds a bit odd, doesn't it?

I guess cold is relative. Va folks probably feel a lot more comfortable when the thermometer shows 100 too.

Matt

kenny chaos said:

That's funny because I burned today and it was 60 outside. It was 64 inside which is too cold for my wife and kids (she's taught the 5yr old how to be cold!). So I burned about 4 small splits to get the chill off. Down in the south you burn in this dead of the winter which means it's 20+ in the morning and 50's in the afternoon. I guess it's all relative, but my cold blooded wife is from Canada. You'd think she would love the cold, but NOOOOOO! If it's under 50 outside then she wants a fire. What wife wants, wife gets. Or better yet.... happy wife, happy life. That and I don't mind burning.

You have to remember lots of older homes in the south have little to no insulation which explains the burning at relatively high outdoor temperatures.

kenny chaos said:
kenny chaos said:

Hey I was only kidding. I live in the north with no insulation. You better bet I burn when it's 50.

Gee, I live in the north with GOOD insulation and I burn when it's 50, if I wanted to freeze I would still be burning oil!

Count me in too!
Just enough burn to take the nip from the air.

It was the low 50's. Does that help. It keeps the oil boiler off.
House was built in 1952, brick rancher, 2200 sq feet. Last year I burned 800 gallons of fuel oil and it was not that cold in Virginia
last year. I just installed my Fireview and I have been learning how it burns. I was not burning a full load and the house was in the low 70's. I have to close off the Florida room when it is cold outside because it sucks the heat out of the house, 5 sliding glass doors in that room. I still have to use the oil when it is cold. I am going to have to add some insulation.

In my house 45* and sunny outside equals 66* inside. This week that was too warm for us...

midland said:
Nice score, but what kind of wood is it? Looks like it could be Sweet gum. If it is hope you got a good spliter. Oh by the way sounds like you got a smart daughter, I like that.....

I believe it is red oak. Splits and looks just like it, just did not get the smell of red oak, but the sum was not out drying the wood. Got it all split, have a nice stack 10' by 5' at 18".

Status
Not open for further replies.