free slabwood in need of sawbuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
If you would please allow me to enter the pine burner ranks :) Spotted slabwood in the newspaper under my favorite section-free. I called the guy up and headed over. I filled my pickup over the top and headed out, thanking free wood man. now I find that I need to build a sawbuck. He has more free pine than I have room for . oh and it was all cut last year. I mentioned to him that it looked like a lot of his neighbors burned wood also but I guess it is a mortal sin to burn pine in anything but a outdoor boiler or bonfire... Anyhoo it should be fine to get the beech and ash going?anyone build the perfect sawbuck? Thanks

Just drive in a bunch of stakes or T-bar posts wide enough to fit the length of your bar and spaced lengthwise to the length your stove can take. Lay a few logs on the ground to save running the chain into the ground and then pile all the slabs between the posts and go to it.

LLigetfa said:
Just drive in a bunch of stakes or T-bar posts wide enough to fit the length of your bar and spaced lengthwise to the length your stove can take. Lay a few logs on the ground to save running the chain into the ground and then pile all the slabs between the posts and go to it.

well said, it's that easy and you are really making wood then.

yep but saw bucks are cool

Yes, there's something about an authentic finely crafted sawbuck. On the old homestead that my parents bought, there was a really old sawbuck that was made from a huge log with pegs bored into the bottom of it for legs and pegs in the top like antlers for holding the wood. As kids we would sit on it and "ride" it like a rocking horse that didn't actually rock.

I've heard of sawbucks for slab wood that were nothing more than rebar driven into the ground with cross members welded to them. Looked like a row of H's.

LLigetfa said:
Yes, there's something about an authentic finely crafted sawbuck. On the old homestead that my parents bought, there was a really old sawbuck that was made from a huge log with pegs bored into the bottom of it for legs and pegs in the top like antlers for holding the wood. As kids we would sit on it and "ride" it like a rocking horse that didn't actually rock.

I've heard of sawbucks for slab wood that were nothing more than rebar driven into the ground with cross members welded to them. Looked like a row of H's.
yep I know what your talking about it would be better for slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.