Free Spruce Logs...should I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

Nov 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Saw an ad on Craigslist for free delivered Spruce logs...

4-6 ft length, 8-12 inches in diameter

I'm new to using a chainsaw (well, it's been a long time anyway...). I figure it would be a good intro to using and processing my own wood.

Wadda ya think?

I would probably not go to the trouble cutting down prouce to burn, but I would not pass up free logs delivered to my yard. Spruce is considered to be low quality wood for burning, but I also burn a lot of tulip poplar which is also a much maligned wood. You're in Baltimore so most of the winter you are not dealing with freezing temps. I'd take the spruce and use it during the day, the shoulder seasons, 40 degree nights, etc. Jst know that you are not gogin to get long burns out of it. Free wood is good.

I'd take it and cut it up. IMO every wood has a time and a place, especially if it's free. I'm even burning box elder during this January thaw, and I'll do the same on warm days in March and April. I've never burned any spruce except for scraps, but it can't be that much worse than box elder.

Spruce burns just fine, if its free and delivered? then thats hard to argue with. Its still free heat right?

MMandm said:

I'm new to using a chainsaw (well, it's been a long time anyway...). I figure it would be a good intro to using and processing my own wood.

Wadda ya think?

Free?

Delivered?

Is this a trick question?

MMandm said:

Wadda ya think?

I want them but he wont deliver to harford county....I say get'em

I would definitely jump on that, heck i'd take em if I had to go pick em up.

What more could you ask for!! Do ya want them to split it and feed your fire too?? lol

I couldn't pass up free delivered wood of any type, and I defintely wouldn't pass up free, delivered spruce. I think spruce is a nice to process (splits well, smells nice) and it burns great. It isn't hardwood, but you live in Maryland, so what do you care about long overnight burns?

Not to goat (okay, to gloat), I have a tree guy that drops loads of pine/spruce at my house - 3 loads so far, plus one maple - can't wait to burn it (next year)

As a non-discriminating wood burner I would grab this wood if you have the room . . . I mean it's free and delivered . . . doesn't get much better. Sure, it may not be a high quality hardwood, but once seasoned it will keep you warm . . . albeit you may burn this wood a bit quicker vs. burning hardwood.

I don't go out of my way for softwoods, but I've been burning a dead spruce that came down near my parents in November 2008 . . . great for the shoulder seasons or for burning on evenings or weekends when I'm just puttering around the house. It does tend to have some snap, crackles and pops . . . which I kind of secretly enjoy . . . just be careful when loading the stove . . . usually this is not a big deal if you're burning properly and only adding wood when the load is already at the low coaling stage.

As mentioned, it burns quickly and can burn hot . . . a bit sappy when being processed . . . but it smells nice while being processed and the smoke it produces is quite fragrant . . .

Ask him how soon he can get it to you :)

Fine for shoulder seasons. Just keep a good
look at your flue. Inspect and clean it more
often. All that pitch may not be fully consumed
in the burn and wind up inside your flue.

Take no shortcuts in flue cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.