Free stand vs Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry100

Minister of Fire
May 16, 2008
NY Capitol Region
I'm sure this has been asked before, but bear with me and help a long time woodburner with his new stove.

I used an "all nighter" Jumbo Moe for 26 years ( just sold it last week). I don't belive therE was an internet when I picked that one out.

Replacing with a Country Canyon ST310, which will need a hearth extension to go where the "moe" went. ( not to bad, some blocks. bricks etc).

However, My dealer installer suggested a Canyon c310( basically the same stove as an insert.), which would make for a much cleaner install.

The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed in 26 years but stove technology has.

Have inserts closed the gap or is freestanding the way to go for max output?

Inputs appreciated.

gerry100 said:
...The laws of thermodynamics haven't changed in 26 years...

No, they haven't, Gerry. They still pretty much read:

1. You can't win.

2. You can't break even.

3. You can't quit the game.

(A lot like what I seem to recall hearing from the Presbyterians in my youth. :smirk: )

I really like freestanding stoves, but then, a nice insert with a fan would probably suit just fine. Depends on the location and your personal preference more than anything else, I s'pose. Rick

Welcome, this is a common question. No the laws haven't changed, both stoves are good modern stoves, but a freestander will usually outperform the insert, especially when the power goes out. How much depends on the stove design and to some extent, whether this is an interior or exterior chimney. If you search on freestanding and insert you'll find lots of discussion on this. Enjoy the new stove, whichever you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.