Free Standing in the Fireplace, or somewhere else? Hearthstone Phoenix or Jotul Castine (F 400)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creeker

Oct 14, 2008
finger lakes region, Ny
First timer here, and first time wood stove buyer. To this point, we’ve tolerated sucking the heat out of our house for the sake of a warm family room fire in the fireplace. I’m ready to put a freestanding wood burner in the fireplace. It is centrally located at the core of the house and the chimney is exposed to living space on all sides. My wife wants the stove on the other side of the room by an exterior wall, so wood-schleping won’t be such a mess, and so we can still enjoy a fire in the fireplace. I think she’s crazy. More $$ to install, and I don’t think I’ll EVER start another fire in the fireplace once that wood burning stove gets going, so why not put it in the most centrally located place, the fireplace.

I’m down to a Jotul Castine or a Hearthstone Phoenix. Shame to push that Hearthstone into a fireplace, though. I know, the more I pull it out, the more radiant heat, but the room is not exactly wide as it is, and I’d rather push it in as much as possible and use a heatshield a/o fan to move the heat out.

Thoughts on EVER using a fireplace after firing up a wood stove? Hearthstone Phoenix vs. Jotul Castine (F 400)?

Thanks.

My wife and I had the same - I won the battle based on practicality, expense and efficiency (but will I ever win the war?). The clincher: I got us the front screen option so we can use the stove as a "fireplace". (Plus, we have a second fireplace we never used much before, so it wasn't much of a battle - I had all the ammo. I expect the stove to eliminate any fireplace desire, but nice to have backup.)

The logic I presented to her again (and again) was that the stove is a space heater, so the more central the better. The stove will heat the large masonry structure, which should act as a heat sink and radiate heat back evenly and slowly (and of course lose some to the great outdoors). The debate as to how far out of the fireplace the stove should be depends (in addition to space considerations) whether you believe your center chimney structure will give the heat back to you or wick it away. I have heard arguments from both sides but just don't know - I'm hoping for a good return.

As to how all this will effect a marriage is also still open to debate.

PS - Ithaca native here.

Is the fireplace so big that just putting in an insert is not an option? Then you could have the best of both worlds.

As for ever running a fireplace after a stove install? Unless its gonna be used for grilling steaks in the winter then no. Thats the situation at my folks' house but they have a wood furnace in the basement.

mranum said:
As for ever running a fireplace after a stove install? Unless its gonna be used for grilling steaks in the winter then no.

One of the reasons I got a freestanding hearth stove by Harman: stove top grill!

branchburner said:
mranum said:
As for ever running a fireplace after a stove install? Unless its gonna be used for grilling steaks in the winter then no.

One of the reasons I got a freestanding hearth stove by Harman: stove top grill!

Do not discount grilling steaks and smoking ribs in your fireplace in the winter. For those who do not do it - you really do not understand.

That said, my Castine may end up in the fireplace too...

CTwoodburner said:
branchburner said:
mranum said:

Do not discount grilling steaks and smoking ribs in your fireplace in the winter. For those who do not do it - you really do not understand.

That said, my Castine may end up in the fireplace too...

Oh, I understand!!! That's what I'm saying - if I was giving up my fireplace I was damn well gonna have a place to grill! I've been a fireplace cook for years - nothing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.