FREE STANDING STOVE IN A PREFAB FP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
Could I get some recommendations on approved free standing woodstoves that I can insert into my prefab fireplace.
looking for different option to the fireplace insert or full replacement of the current prefab fireplace.

Loghome with exterior wall chimney 20x30ft family room with 20ft+ ceiling. Fairly open floor plan

thanks
Tony

Pics of your location will help to provide better answers. Is your fireplace like this one? I had this in a corner install - framed and sheetrocked around it. After learning about them (reading on hearth.com) - never even considered trying to adapt stove or insert to this POS. Just ripped it all out and built a hearth corner for the Resolute Acclaim. The money to put this prefab FP in (esp labor $) would be more than an Englander 13-NC and Class A chimney. But most people want ambiance, not heat.

Attachments

• prefabFP1.jpg
    prefabFP1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 391
+10 ...give me heat and ambience

After looking at pictures, I am now considering pulling out the PREFAB all together do some stone work. Put in a new liner and have a free standing stove approx half way into the opening.

I got me an englander NC30 on the way. was going to put it in the basement to replace my FISHER...but now..it may just be going into the whole where the prefab was(well once I remove it).

If I may throw my two cents in, I think going with a free standing stove pulled slightly out of the opening of the fireplace is a good move.
I HAVE a fireplace insert, and while I like what I have, I would prefer to have a free standing stove. Moreover, my chimney is not on an exterior wall. The fireplace front is in the living room, which has an open floor concept into the dining room and kitchen, it gets really warm and comfortable in here. However, the back of the brick chimney is indoors in the breezeway between the garage, the doors and living room. The breezeway definitely benefits from the chimney being there. after burning for a few hours the bricks radiate heat out into the the breezeway and it will even be putting heat out in the morning long after the fire is out. We don't burn over night here.
If this were an exterior chimney all of that heat would be lost. That in mind- I think a freestanding stove would help you keep more of the heat from the wood you burn, making it a more efficient option.

Almost all Jotuls are approved for use with a ZC fireplace. It may require the use of the short leg kit and you need to put a 6" liner up your existing chimney. I have a Jotul castine run through a ZC fireplace and it works well.
Joe

search this site and the web for pictures of "alcove" installations.

Well, Decided tonight that I will do the install myself. It aint rocket science..I got an NC30 on the way that will go in the alcove...still gotta get the chimney insert prior too....and some some stone/heat safety work completed... What I am saying is attention to detail...20yrs of submarining taught me I can pretty much do anything long as I keep the mind frame of the objective correct....I can read code....I can tear down and rebuild....I can work metal..stone...etc.. Bottom line I want safe and efficient..entering in those are the 1st objective...visualy pleasing...the wife has conceded that to the primary objectives..

I can tell you right now this unit will not be up and running in 3wks...lots of research for me to do...

But I plan on providing a very detailed report from parts purchased to installation...dont know if that is of interest

I will probably also tax the patience of some of you seasoned wood burners...But I am installing so give me a break if you aint done it....

I am very proud of our home ( as everyone probably is)...I plan on doing nothing to jeoparidize that...

So follow along, add input, help me out..

Hoping by next fall I will be heatpump free at least 14hrs per day....

Anyway...thanks

Tony

southbalto said:
I'm fairly certain that all stove manufacturers (including jotul) require a UL 103 HT 2100 Class A system if not venting into a masonry chimney .

I had a ZC Fireplace. Here is what I did:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50028/
Just running a 2100 6" insulated liner through your existing 8" air cooled chimney will bring it up to manufacturer requirements and code. I realize the op has already made his decision but this may help others contemplating such an install save a lot of time and money.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.