Free standing stove into a ZC chimney with SS liner???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrettdp

Dec 20, 2008
NE Georgia
We are getting ready to remove our small insert and replace it with a VC Defiant. The insert was installed two years ago. I completely pulled out the zero clearance fireplace and used a 6" SS liner to a Napoleon 1100 insert into the hole left from the fireplace after building a cheap hearth. Although I feel safe with this setup I realize that it is not up to code. I have searched and cannot find a definitive answer.

Can I run my new free standing stove with my existing chimney set up??? Or do I have to change every thing out to single/double wall pipe and new class A chimney???
It would seem to me that if an insert is approved for use with ZC chimney with an insert, then a free standing stove should be approved as well. Please advice.

I believe the only way you can run a SS liner by code is through a masonry chimnay or through a pre-fab flue into a pre-fab fireplace. The liner will still have the insulated firebox to add protection, with the box gone, a portion of the liner would protrude into the room. The liner must be insulated, and I beleive it can only be used as part of an un-altered Pre-fab system. I hope this helps, Others will chime in soon.

<>Can I run my new free standing stove with my existing chimney set up???<>

NO

<>Or do I have to change every thing out to single/double wall pipe and new class A chimney???<>

YES

It would seem to me that if an insert is approved for use with ZC chimney with an insert, then a free standing stove should be approved as well. Please advice.

It's what WEBBY said. You did not meet code with your set up & you are taking a chance with your life by not doing so. SOME wood burning inserts are approved IN ZC FIREPLACES WITH THE 1700 DEG CHIMNEY SYSTEM IF THEY"RE CONNECTED AS ONE UNIT.
Your install compromised the system. Do right & replace the chimney.

DAKSY said:

NO

<>Or do I have to change every thing out to single/double wall pipe and new class A chimney???<>

YES

It's what WEBBY said. You did not meet code with your set up & you are taking a chance with your life by not doing so. SOME wood burning inserts are approved IN ZC FIREPLACES WITH THE 1700 DEG CHIMNEY SYSTEM IF THEY"RE CONNECTED AS ONE UNIT.

Thanks a bunch. When I did the install I didn't realize they had to be installed as one unit, despite the research I did.

barrettdp said:
DAKSY said:

NO

YES

Thanks a bunch. When I did the install I didn't realize they had to be installed as one unit, despite the research I did.
How did you protect the wall behind the insert when you installed it?

Durock straight onto the stud walls, some flashing, metal stud/durock flooring. Looking back I find it rather odd that I did not build it to code as I am meticulous when it comes to such things. I am the type of person that learns very easy if someone teaches me, but when I have to learn by reading, it takes multiple times before I even start to understand something. I've been reading up on this over the last few days till my eyes are starting to bleed.

Here is a picture of my current insert. Just pulled the mantle off today. I know that many will cringe when you look at it due to code, but I feel completely safe with it, and am in the process of changing it, and will be up to code with the new stove. I can put my hand directly onto the outer pipe and it is just warm. I can also put my hand literal right next to the stove and the durock is just barely warm.

Thanks again for the info!

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 210
Status
Not open for further replies.