Free Standing stove into existing masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags Resto

Aug 31, 2006
Approximately 5 years ago I purchased an 80 year old building (2 story) with 4 masonry chimneys. The upstairs and downstairs chimneys are common with access (6 in.) from each floor.
I was given an Earth Stove 2 weeks ago (rear 8 in. flue, Model 600). I am having difficulty finding a manual and/or info on this stove. I have inspected the chimney with lights and a mirror and it looks to be in excellent shape considering the age. The construction of the builing is solid 3 course brick with no penetrations within 10 in. of the chimney. (no stud walls) The chimney is 6" x 14" and the access is approximately 9.5 ' above the floor
My questions are:
1. Should I line the chimney?( This application is in my shop and will only be used on saturdays during North Central Texas winters).
2. If unlined can I but the flue pipe into the existing chimney or elbow up? An 8" flue pipe won`t fit-can I choke it down to 6" to elbow up or not?
3. With the rear vent stove would it be better to use 45 degre els opposed to 90`s
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jags

Status
Not open for further replies.