free standing stove or insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
Okay so we have a wood furnace that is awesome... love it... wouldnt trade it for anything. I got to thinking the other day that we have a fireplace that is not used due to a suspected crack in the flue. I thought that we could use an indert/stove during the day when we are all hanging out in the living room, and use the furnace at night.

Now, here are my questions.

The flue tapers from round to a rectangular shape right at the fireplace, towards the front, about 5" X 24" or so. If I were to put in a SS liner, how would that work?? I'll try to take some pics tonight of it.

Next question, would it be better to go with an insert or a free standing stove in front of it?

Finally, is it reasonable to want a stove/insert that can take a 20" log, so I dont have to cut 2 different lengths?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You run your 6" round liner down to a sheetmetal plate at the rectangular (5x24?) top of the fire box. You may wind up just slightly chiseling / hammering out some clearance to open up that 5" dimension, and then would need the sheetmetal to follow the "curvature" you create there.

The liner would just come thru the metal and (my recommendation) end in a tee w/ a cleanout, with the freestanding stove in front of it. Easier to clean, etc... I think the stove will give you more options for your 20" log size, too - you might be hard pressed to find an insert that you like, and fits the box, AND gives you 20" log capacity.

My little heritage is rated for a 21" log. I would not put in an insert. They always have blowers going and lack the radiant heat ability of a free stander.

Status
Not open for further replies.