Free-standing stove vs. EPA Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplifySC

Jan 15, 2014
Clemson, SC
After three years of putting up with a ZC Fireplace (Majestic Bilmore 50) and finding a bunch of good advice here, I have decided to rip out the ZC and replace it with either a freestanding stove in an alcove or put in an EPA Fireplace. The two leading candidates are the Hearthstone Mansfield in the alcove or the Quadrafire 7100. The sweep who is going to do the installation came out yesterday and looked at our setup and said both would work but he was really an advocate for the 7100 because he was not a fan of alcoves. I have already received a bunch of good advice here - like don't put an insert in a ZC, so why not try again. Attached is the picture of my current setup. We live in the upstate of SC so our winters are mild - usually not to many lows below the mid to high teens. House is 3 years old and about 2,800-3,000 square feet. It sits on over 3 wooded acres so I have all the wood I could ever need. The great room where the stove will be located has a 24 foot ceiling that opens up to the 2nd floor where the kid's bedrooms are located as well as my office. I work from home so the stove we put in will be run 24/7 during the coldest months. The roof line of the house has a bunch of pitch to it. It serves us well in the hot SC summers as it stay pretty cool in the house most of the time because the heat always has a place to go. That works against us though in the winters. It is always drafty and the heat pump just does not put out a "warm heat" that is comfortable. The plan is to use the stove as a primary heat source and then use the heatpump as a supplment as needed. Other factors in consideration is the location of the stove is in the middle of the great room where we gather, watch TV, etc. We didn't put in a stove when we built the house for fear it would overrun us in that room and make it too hot. I grew up with a wood stove and that was the case. The room it was in was almost always too hot to sit in. That was my reason for looking at Soapstone. That was the direction I was leaning until yesterday made me take a step back and consider the 7100 when the sweep said he just didn't think alcoves worked well. I like the freestanding option because it is what I am most familiar with. I like the idea of a moderated heat that doesn't blow you out of the Great Room. I would get the Mansfield with a fan on it so that is a wash betwen the two options. I am curious to see between the two different options, what the experience of folks here would suggest. Thanks a ton for your help. I hope to pull the trigger here as soon as I get the quotes from the sweep - the cost will also play into the decision as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 186
Heating-wise I would not expect a lot of difference between a stove in an alcove installation and a ZC fireplace. You may get a bit more convection with a stove without the blower but I doubt they will differ greatly. Other points you can consider:

ZC fireplace can often be installed with additional ducting to move heat to other rooms. Maybe that would be helpful in your case?
Price: My guess is the stove/alcove will be cheaper.
Resale value: A nice fireplace may make a bigger impression on home buyers than a stove.
Cooking surface: You could cook on the stove if the power is out.
Stove is easier to access for maintenance and to check stovetop temperature.

Those aside, soapstone stoves are more radiant stoves which will not be really beneficial in an alcove install. I would take a look at more convective stoves; maybe the Pacific Energy T6 or the BlazeKing Ashford 30. The latter is catalytic which means more controllable burn and constant heat output even when it is not that cold outside (which I assume will be the case in your area). Rule of thumb: The closer the (side) clearances the more convective is a stove.

Mine heats very well without the blower but with the blower it heats 2 floors.......

Reactions: zrtmatos
Status
Not open for further replies.