free standing wood stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinAK

Apr 19, 2006
Hello All,
So I was hoping for a bit of help or advice. My wife and I just bought a house. It is very small (only about 1000 sf) and its current primary source of heat is an oil monitor stove. However it is also completely chimed and ready for a wood stove. There used to be one but the previous owner took it out. So now we are beginning to look for a wood stove. However, after extensive searching via the net I cant seem to get a good handle on which stove is the best for the money. None of the web sites will give a price. Please help, how much can I expect to pay for a small wood burning stove just big enough to heat a small home with an oil heater as a back up? and what is a good brand to look for? please any and all help is appreciated.

a place to start is to figure out what material you want the stove to be. they all have unique properties. (steel, cast, or soapstone). then you have to figure out what size to buy on a basis of firebox size (the bigger the less maintence) vs heating capacity. A small stove would work, but if you want to burn it all the time, the maintence might get annoying. You might buy something with a little more capacity to offset this. There is lots of factors, but a few stoves to look at. Hearthstone tribute. Jotul 3 cb. Quadrafire 2100, and many others that other people will mention here. most of these stoves are in the 1200-1500 dollar range. There are lots of choices.

Well I'll throw in my 2 cents. Lopi Parlor, I've been amazed by the performance of this stove Lopi also makes the Answer which is good as well but doesn't have an aromatherapy tray option. Avalon Pendleton or Rainier, Dutchwest Cat Small good solid performer and under 1000.00 the non cat is good as well. Vermont Castings IntrepidII or non cat and the Vermont Castings Resolute. The Tribute like MSG mentioned and any Quadrafires are good product as well.

Where are you located? What are your heating habits? Is someone home most of the time or just at night? There are a lot of good small stoves, the downside is that you'll need to stoke them up more frequently. We have the Jotul 3CB which is a nice stove, as are the small Pacific Energy stoves.

http://www.morsoe.com/us/2110.htm

Morso 2110

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but this company is as old or older than Jotul

If your fishing in Alaska a 1400-1500 would be about minimum
The square footage isnt based on extremes of weather

I second the Morso recommendation, I burn a 2110 and am completely happy with it.

One more thing, concentrate on getting a good chimney. Non of these stove will work on a poor designed chimney. Get plenty of hight, and keep as much inside the building as possible. (position the stove as close to under the ridge of your roof as possible, with as few bends as possible. I know you didnt ask about the chimney, but its probably more important then the stove you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.