Free stove in Southern NJ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone identify this? Does it look like it's worth getting/fixing.

NJ I would pass on that. It looks homemade from someone's welding shop from the smoke dragon era

On the other hand why not get in touch with the seller below and see what best offer he would take on his Vigilant, top loading is pretty nice for that price.

VC Vigilant $125 or B.O.

Burn-1 said:
NJ I would pass on that. It looks homemade from someone's welding shop from the smoke dragon era

On the other hand why not get in touch with the seller below and see what best offer he would take on his Vigilant, top loading is pretty nice for that price.

VC Vigilant $125 or B.O.

That is literally a couple miles from my house- might be doing a rebuild and swapout. The guy hasn't answered the e-mail yet, but it is early am..

TYhanks for the heads up Burn-1

No problem NJ.

From the looks of the stove I am going to guess it's one of the older Vigilants with the downdraft combustion. It's now only a coal stove for the production models.

Below is a link which will get you the old VC manual for the Defiant, Vigilant and Intrepid.

Old VC manual

If you read it you will note pretty stiff clearance to combustibles, 36 inches without shielding so factor that into your consideration. It does look to be in OK shape, but a rebuild may be in the cards.

it is "older" but it has windows and it's enamel (it looks like it is) so it isn't the original Vigilant but people go bonkers for these rigs around here, cause they Crank!
NJ maybe we can start a little used stove business, we can export them from South Jersey to Vermont. Huh huh?

I was thinking that same thing.b Buy it, fix it up, sell it- instead of house flipper, be a stove flipper.

spohe to owner tonight- no clue about clearances, heat sheilds, etc. Said he got it from a guy that had it installed on bricks. Thanked him for calling me back, but i can't spare 36" clearance in my living room..

Now, Maybe if i built that addition .....

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.