Free stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I have a UL listed baby bear Fisher stove I would like to donate to a family the could use it and help their heating situation. I know not to put smoke dragons back on line but some famillies might not be able to afford any Epa stoves. post or PM me if you know of a a needy family or replacing a less safe stove to this one. Located in Eastern Ma south of Boston.

BTW this stove is in real good condition ready for installation

Hey, if you teach them how to burn it, and they have good wood and a chimney, it might be almost as good as a poorly burned newer stove - or, maybe someone has a camp or a shop where they burn hot (and therefore clean)....

Corie used to use Craigslist, but that may make you TOO popular! We got 20 requests for our free old tennis balls.

I figure I will gasket the door and you are right if burned with dry wood it can be burnt relatively clean.

Like Craig said Elk, just be careful of craigslist. You'll end up with an obscenely long list of people who need help and at least in my case, you'll feel terribly guilty that you can't help them all.

Corie said:
Like Craig said Elk, just be careful of craigslist. You'll end up with an obscenely long list of people who need help and at least in my case, you'll feel terribly guilty that you can't help them all.

Corie you had a case of CLG- Craigslist guilt, who is the most worthy? I was getting sob stories for used tennis ball. I asked around for the Craigslist rules of protocol, basically the first one who asks gets it, then down the line. Far be it for me to decide who was the most worthy.

Actually Corie I have another stove that would interest you again in real good condition It is a Nashua wood coal stove, but really best served as a coal stove due to its small fire box.

I offered it to Keyman as it sits in my shed the longer it sits there the closer to fair game it becomes it has the shaker grate and the grate is in good condition and functions correctly It even has a small glas viewing window. This is the stove I removed last week and installed the Used 1998 $575 Lopi Freedom Bay insert also installing the MagnaFlex full liner.

The Lopi was a great price for its condition. Nothing needed to be replaced even the secondary burn tubs were decent All said and done the total installation cost $1500 including the liner and paying Keyman for the assistance. Lopi freedom bay has a 2.8 cu ft firebox so plenty big enough for overnight burns. and I installed it in the pulled out position so it has a decent exposed area for radiant heat and cook top capabilities A real nice function/ option There is an optional blower unit I can purchase but figured to try it out in its current setup. Completely interior central chimney so heat loss to bricks will re generate back to the room.

Carefull of this.....IMHO free stuff only brings out the bad in people....you might charge only a lil for it so at least that way they will feel they did SOMETHING and take better care of it.

I see familes all the time down at community shelters who really do need the help......then on free bread days I also see people with 8 series BMW's and Lexus's comming into help themselves to the free bread and soup.

Just like when I was growing up the neighbor kids used to get free coats from the "Coats for Kids" drive because their dad was "self employed" and happend to make just under the limit to be on food stamps and welfare.

Yes I know there are people out there who need the help and we have a guy who used to work for us that really did need the help....10 bucks an hour trying to support a family.

Just always been of the school of thought that if people work for something and take ownership then they are more likely to appreciate it more and take better care of it.

moldy oldy thread.

mike honcho said:
Did you give the stove away? Where is it located?

Mike - I doubt if you get a response. Elk is not on this board anymore. (you do realize that this thread was started in 2007, right?)

You KY boys kill me!! Can`t wait for my next job in Paducah or Louisville!! Always have a great time :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.