Free stumps - pros/cons

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
OK - I came across a local CL ad for some short trunk sections (2-4') and stumps. Stumps are out of the ground, and are Oak/SB Hickory.

Pros:
Free
Not far from home
high density - plenty of Btus
decent amount of volume (prob. 2-3 cords worth)
Free

Cons:
Heavy
Hard to maneuver
Hard to split
Cutting risks (stones and other chain killers)
Longer time to season/dry

Sounds to me like it is not worth considering. Any other perspectives?

Think you have about covered it, specially the cons. Really not worth the effort, unless you are absoutley desperate.

I answered a local Indiana CL and it was basically the same thing. Guy had some maple chunks dropped off a couple of years ago at his house in 20-24 inch diameter and about 15 feet long. Took me 2 hours to cut and hand split the wood to get about a half trucks worth. Not worth it in my old opinion.

Shipper

If one has a good chain saw and a splitter I'd say go for the stumps...You could probably get a weeks burning out of a 4' stump. IMHO

If you're scrounging and have noting else to take I'd go for it till something else comes along. I thinking 3 cords is a lot of money saved if you use heating oil. A hard nosed bar is good to use with stumps or brush esp stumps all piled together with the roots still attached.

Oak and hickory... if someone had already cut them and piled them up and there were no roots...I would have already been there cause with the junk I burn that's prime wood to me.

JoeyJ said:
If one has a good chain saw and a splitter I'd say go for the stumps...You could probably get a weeks burning out of a 4' stump. IMHO

This is true, but how much is it gonna cost him in ruined chains? I did this one time only and it was absoutley brutal on my chain. So maybe, you shoulda said if he has a good chain saw and a whole bunch of used and worn out chains that he doesn`t mind toasting :p

Just cause its a stump and its up out of the ground does not at all mean the one will destroy a saw chain? Free is free. If your really that worried about it go to Home Cheepot and get yourself one of those cheep Chines Oregon chains. Free is free, so what you smoke a thirty dollar chain or two you are still ahead. Highly doubt the stove will care that its a "stump" being placed in it...IMO

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
Just cause its a stump and its up out of the ground does not at all mean the one will destroy a saw chain? Free is free. If your really that worried about it go to Home Cheepot and get yourself one of those cheep Chines Oregon chains. Free is free, so what you smoke a thirty dollar chain or two you are still ahead. Highly doubt the stove will care that its a "stump" being placed in it...IMO

It`s not just the chain damage, one`s I had delivered were 40" across, took me forever to gnaw thru it with my little 16" saw. :down:

Thanks for the insight guys. If I were really scrounging for wood, I doubt I would have even posted the question. I may still consider going to see them, since they are not far from the house. However, the work to process the equivalent amount of wood from straight timber is far less than dealing with the stumps. The only attraction to me is the high density of the stump wood. High density = more Btus.

And NOTHING is ever really free. My wood getter burns a gallon of gas every 6-8 miles, depending on the load.

If I go see them I'll post some pics.

They can be a lot of work.
One giant gnarl, usually.
I've cut a couple ( ruined chains) just because I had to be rid of them, but I wouldn't go looking for more of them.

N/A N/A said:
I understand what your saying Sonny

Firefighter29 What kind of burn times are you getting from your TL-300 Say with a full load of seasoned hardwood on the lowest air setting. Most of the posters here do not believe the burn times that I and Mishmouse are getting with this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.