Free Super Cedar Firestarter samples for new members!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
X2 what Fossil said! They work every time without worry. I ordered the samples and before I had used a whole Super Cedar, I ordered a lot of them! You really only need 1/4 to get your fire going. They burn HOT!

Reactions: NWfuel
Got my free samples yesterday. Can't wait for winter now!! Especially after this summer!!

My samples just came in...they smell wonderful, almost too good to burn...(almost) ;)

Well, it looks like I have another use for these starters. We just scored on a yard sale Weber Silver grill with the rapidfire chimney starter accessory. Used maybe twice, all for $20 and with a bag of briquettes. Such a deal! Tonight was the inauguration. I got the charcoal ready and then started thinking, balled up newspaper is not going to work that well with the starter. Normally I use a powerful electric heat gun to start the charcoal, but it's packed away due to the garage replacement. What to do? No charcoal lighter fluid on hand, I don't like the stuff. Then a light went off in my head. SuperCedars should do the trick. I broke off a quarter chunk and lit it. Placed it under the charcoal and voila! A perfect start with no fumey charcoal lighter smell. It worked perfect. 15 minutes later I have some good hot coals. Worked like a charm.

My samples just came in...they smell wonderful, almost too good to burn...(almost) ;)
You could try it in your dresser drawer, but it didn't work that well for me. Hmm, maybe if I used more of them.;hm

Well, it looks like I have another use for these starters. We just scored on a yard sale Weber Silver grill with the rapidfire chimney starter accessory. Used maybe twice, all for $20 and with a bag of briquettes. Such a deal! Tonight was the inauguration. I got the charcoal ready and then started thinking, balled up newspaper is not going to work that well with the starter. Normally I use a powerful electric heat gun to start the charcoal, but it's packed away due to the garage replacement. What to do? No charcoal lighter fluid on hand, I don't like the stuff. Then a light went off in my head. SuperCedars should do the trick. I broke off a quarter chunk and lit it. Placed it under the charcoal and voila! A perfect start with no fumey charcoal lighter smell. It worked perfect. 15 minutes later I have some good hot coals. Worked like a charm.
What kind of heat gun? I wouldn't think that a regular 1500 watt hair dryer-type heat gun would. This something special?

I just got my free samples in the mail. Can't wait to give them a try. Maybe I'll stuff them in the dresser drawers until then...

Just emailed for a sample, hope I like them.

Begreen,

Thank you for the post. The competition BBQ crowd use Super Cedar as you describe. Leaves no fluid smell and lights the briquetts faster. Enjoy your new BBQ and this great weather.
Thomas

Begreen,

Thank you for the post. The competition BBQ crowd use Super Cedar as you describe. Leaves no fluid smell and lights the briquetts faster. Enjoy your new BBQ and this great weather.
Thomas

I have to admit I was a little surprised how well just a quarter SC worked. It was too easy.

Begreen,

Thomas

I feed them to my stove during heating season, but my Kamado style cooker (Broil King Keg) is lit with them every cook, and I cook on it year round about 2-3 times a week.

I'll pick up another 100 on my way down to Portland in September.

I either use super cedars or buy a bag of no name match light charcoal on clearance in the fall and use two or three bricquettes of it to start a fire.

Thank-You very much NWfuel I did get mine as well and will try them out this fall, what stores carry these?

My samples arrived today, thanks, I look forward to using them.

Best to use these top-down or bottom-up or does it make any difference? I suppose it's just like any other kindling in that regard, but I'll ask anyway.

Sample is on the way. I look forward to trying 'em. Thanks for the discount offer! From all I've heard about them, I have a feeling I will be taking advantage.

Best to use these top-down or bottom-up or does it make any difference? I suppose it's just like any other kindling in that regard, but I'll ask anyway.

User preference . . . I use mine for top down fires . . . but you can use them for building just about any fire in any configuration you want.

Fired off the smoker with a Super Cedar this morning. I'm sold. I wonder what this "free" sample is going to cost me over the years;)

I have plenty of kindling and newspaper but the time savings alone using a Supercedar is worth it to me. I converted my dad a few years back. He had burned for 50+ years. My wife also appreciates their ease of use.

I don't find they work very well if they are simply placed on top of the wood. It is best to put them under some kindling or between two dry splits so as the flame moves up from the supercedar it is in contact with some wood. I don't really think you'd need any kindling if your splits are dry and you use a significant portion of a whole supercedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.