Free truckload... delivered!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, the neighbor is clearing a 6 acre lot to build a house. I said, "I wouldn't mind taking that wood off your hands." Next thing I know, they've got an excavator, grapple, four guys with chainsaws, two dump trucks, and one guy asking me, "where you want us to stack it?"

No idea how much it's going to amount to, yet, but likley more than I need. Best part is, they're stacking it right next to my splitting area for me.

Got another coworker asking me to come take down a big ash for him, likely close to 3 cords. He's my usual supplier, so when he needs a tree downed, I can never turn him down.

Decided to clear out an area of brush on my own property today while they were clearing the lot next door, so I'd have more room for stacking all this wood. I've C/S/S'd more than 6 cords since spring, and it looks like I may be tripling that in the next week or two!

Now, if I could just get that second stove installed... ::P

Man, some guys have all the luck! Good for you,now some pictures please

Some folks have all the luck...whats the secret? Clean living? Tried that once and it didnt help me...:)
Cant get much better than having it brought to you for free...good deal.

Reactions: Thistle
So, the neighbor is clearing a 6 acre lot to build a house. I said, "I wouldn't mind taking that wood off your hands." Next thing I know, they've got an excavator, grapple, four guys with chainsaws, two dump trucks, and one guy asking me, "where you want us to stack it?"

No idea how much it's going to amount to, yet, but likley more than I need. Best part is, they're stacking it right next to my splitting area for me.

Got another coworker asking me to come take down a big ash for him, likely close to 3 cords. He's my usual supplier, so when he needs a tree downed, I can never turn him down.

Decided to clear out an area of brush on my own property today while they were clearing the lot next door, so I'd have more room for stacking all this wood. I've C/S/S'd more than 6 cords since spring, and it looks like I may be tripling that in the next week or two!

Now, if I could just get that second stove installed... ::P

Just another sweet story here. We want pictures.

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
Some folks have all the luck...whats the secret? Clean living? Tried that once and it didnt help me...:)
Cant get much better than having it brought to you for free...good deal.

I don't about joful but clean living has been working real well for me. I feel like the blind dog who is always getting the bones.

Reactions: Realstone
Pictures or it isnt happening :p

Reactions: ScotO
I don't think it's clean living. I've paid my dues / we all get the bad with the good. Seeing this lot get cleared is actually a sad day for me, as it means a new house is going in my back yard, but you have to look for the upside in everything.

Not much to show yet, as they just got started on Saturday. They'll be back this week to do much more clearing. Here's the progress so far. Sorry for the crappy phone-quality photos.

IMG_0589.jpg IMG_0583.jpg IMG_0585.jpg IMG_0586.jpg IMG_0587.jpg

Glad to see they're leaving this monster alone:

IMG_0568.jpg

Reactions: jaychino415
Sweet!

Yep the good & bad of it.
Good to hear you are focusing on the good side of it .
It'll work out well for you that way.

Nice pictures, 1,000's of words there :)

Reactions: PapaDave
I live vicariously through your good fortune (and the pics). Good for you Joful.

Those are some nice what looks like walnut trees..........they will split easy and make great firewood

Good eye, TimJ! Some of the straightest stuff is going to the sawmill, but they say there will be plenty left for me.

That is a monster. What's the girth, DBH?

DBH = "Do Bong Hits"? That monster must be about 15 feet around, and twice as tall as any surrounding tree. I'll go back and measure it when these guys are done their work. It's a beautiful tree.

One other they're leaving, although it's very old and decrepid, is a very large mulberry. Great looking old tree, with enormous roots that travel out along the surface. I'll try to get a photo of that this week.

Can't beat a score like that, happy splitting.

zap

That's what I was talking about......something to look at for a good firewood fix.

I don't think it's clean living. I've paid my dues / we all get the bad with the good. Seeing this lot get cleared is actually a sad day for me, as it means a new house is going in my back yard, but you have to look for the upside in everything.

Not much to show yet, as they just got started on Saturday. They'll be back this week to do much more clearing. Here's the progress so far. Sorry for the crappy phone-quality photos.

View attachment 71464 View attachment 71465 View attachment 71467 View attachment 71468 View attachment 71469

Glad to see they're leaving this monster alone:

View attachment 71471

I know how you feel about a house going in behind you. We had a neighbor go into a nursing home and every one of her kids moved trailers in on her land right behind me... Hope they are good people moving in...

Man that is awesome! You must be living right!

Well, their small track machine broke a track today. So, he said he could still stack it in my splitting area, but they'd have to use the big excavator, which would tear up the ground pretty good. So, I told them to just leave it stacked on the edge of their clearing, and I'd fetch it with my garden tractor. I was told I had as much time as I wanted to move it all, which really works better in the long run.

I'd guess they cleared about 1.5 acres, and they're working late to finish the job tonight. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see how much wood they leave me.

Well, their small track machine broke a track today. So, he said he could still stack it in my splitting area, but they'd have to use the big excavator, which would tear up the ground pretty good. So, I told them to just leave it stacked on the edge of their clearing, and I'd fetch it with my garden tractor. I was told I had as much time as I wanted to move it all, which really works better in the long run.

I'd guess they cleared about 1.5 acres, and they're working late to finish the job tonight. Will have to wait until tomorrow to see how much wood they leave me.

Its a good thing they are willing to work with you on the wood. I hate to go to a worksite where they dont want to talk with you and just push the wood up into a pile and burn it. Lots of good wood going to waste...

Its a good thing they are willing to work with you on the wood. I hate to go to a worksite where they dont want to talk with you and just push the wood up into a pile and burn it. Lots of good wood going to waste...
People are sooo worried about liability these days. It's a shame that litigation has spoiled a lot of freedoms we used to enjoy.

great score

that will cut down the cost of heating your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.