Free truckload... delivered!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 1000 gallons of oil at $3.24/gallon last week. My goal is to NOT use all of that this year, and have a good bit left over for the following year. The previous owners of this house used more than 1500 gallons per year, supplementing a little with wood and propane.

I ordered 1000 gallons of oil at $3.24/gallon last week. My goal is to NOT use all of that this year, and have a good bit left over for the following year. The previous owners of this house used more than 1500 gallons per year, supplementing a little with wood and propane.
!!! !!! i know i have mentioned this before but i like beating those dead horses ;lol. Id be broke and im good with money. Assuming that i could pay for the house etc as in mortgage those fuel bills would break me! $3,200 for oil and you think you will use it in a year! I was reading another of your posts i think where you were talking about not heating if you not there (was that you??) I would do everything i could not to have that oil burner cut on!! I mean thats real money your spending. I mean i spend real money but i am only saving about $100/month. Most of you would think im crazy for doing all this to save $50-100/month. I bet you would not even worry about it if you were me!

I think you're remembering another poster talking about not heating when they're not home, since we keep all the thermostats set to 62'F when we're not home. We used a little over 1000 gallons last year, and doing the degree-day math, we'd be on target for 1400 gallons in a normal year. I suspect our friends further north are using significantly more than that, but this is a fairly large historic house near Philadelphia, with plaster-on-stone exterior walls (no interior insulation).

I think it all averages out, in the grand scheme of things. If you live up here, you have to heat your home. Home prices, salaries, and lifestyle are tuned to the local cost of living. When shopping for houses, you quickly learn to factor the money you're going to spend on heating and cooling into the equation, along with your mortgage and property taxes.

What I wonder is how you justfy the cost of installing a wood stove, if you're only saving $100/month on heating! It must surely be that you enjoy having and running a stove. In my situation, I think the stove plus install will likely pay for itself in the first two years.

How do "you" justify a wood stove" when your spending $3200

It beats $5500, which is what I'd be paying without a stove. Besides, I don't expect to use all of that $3200 this year. Read above.

Reactions: Realstone
We'll see. She's new to woodburning, but did okay with the Jotul Firelight as much as we were able to use it last year. She's 100% on-board with this wood heat thing, but she also tends to tire of things quickly.

She's rarely home when I'm not, so I'm manning the stove 95% of the time.

We'll see. She's new to woodburning, but did okay with the Jotul Firelight as much as we were able to use it last year. She's 100% on-board with this wood heat thing, but she also tends to tire of things quickly.

She's rarely home when I'm not, so I'm manning the stove 95% of the time.
Well, you're ahead of me. My wife won't do it and gets headaches from wood smoke.

Joful, keep reminding her of the dollars saved and that should keep her interested. I think nothing about leaving my wife home to tend the stove and she does very well. Can't help but think many moons ago when I laid in a hospital for 2 months during mid-winter. The house stayed warm and no frozen pipes. Man that wood heat felt good when I got home too.

Well, you're ahead of me. My wife won't do it and gets headaches from wood smoke.

Yeah, I remember you saying that a few weeks ago. I still suspect there's something to it other than wood smoke from your stove. However, being married, I understand exactly what you're dealing with. !!!

Backwoods, you're definitely ahead of me, there. My wife will toss wood in the stove if I haul it into the house a put it in a bin next to the stove. I haven't gotten her to bring it in from outside, or to even consider lighting a fire herself, yet.

Yeah, I remember you saying that a few weeks ago. I still suspect there's something to it other than wood smoke from your stove. However, being married, I understand exactly what you're dealing with. !!!
Great memory Joful, It was one of my first posts, a few months ago. She is pretty sensitive to perumes, etc., so I imagine that has something to do with it.

Backwoods, you're definitely ahead of me, there. My wife will toss wood in the stove if I haul it into the house a put it in a bin next to the stove. I haven't gotten her to bring it in from outside, or to even consider lighting a fire herself, yet.
Someone should start a how-to thread on that subject. And post only in the dark, after midnight :eek:

Reactions: Billybonfire
Great memory Joful, It was one of my first posts, a few months ago.

Yeah, but I cheated... that thread came up on a search I was doing for info on Jotul 12's just a week ago.

Nothing about Jotul 12's in that thread, but someone owned a Jotul (602), and someone was talking about a 12' wide room. Gotta love search engines. ;lol

I think you're remembering another poster talking about not heating when they're not home, since we keep all the thermostats set to 62'F when we're not home. We used a little over 1000 gallons last year, and doing the degree-day math, we'd be on target for 1400 gallons in a normal year. I suspect our friends further north are using significantly more than that, but this is a fairly large historic house near Philadelphia, with plaster-on-stone exterior walls (no interior insulation).

I think it all averages out, in the grand scheme of things. If you live up here, you have to heat your home. Home prices, salaries, and lifestyle are tuned to the local cost of living. When shopping for houses, you quickly learn to factor the money you're going to spend on heating and cooling into the equation, along with your mortgage and property taxes.

What I wonder is how you justfy the cost of installing a wood stove, if you're only saving $100/month on heating! It must surely be that you enjoy having and running a stove. In my situation, I think the stove plus install will likely pay for itself in the first two years.
Penny saved is a Penny saved.....My install will pay for itself in 2 years with me buying some wood and when I get free wood it speeds up the process of pay off, but once the install is payed for and even if I have to buy all my wood I will save about $900 a year, to me that helps alot and I love a woodstove, don't mind handling wood and will even run a chainsaw and splitter if I get free wood....I am woman...Hear me roar....Lol.....Loving every minute of it.....

Penny saved is a Penny saved.....My install will pay for itself in 2 years with me buying some wood and when I get free wood it speeds up the process of pay off, but once the install is payed for and even if I have to buy all my wood I will save about $900 a year, to me that helps alot and I love a woodstove, don't mind handling wood and will even run a chainsaw and splitter if I get free wood....I am woman...Hear me roar....Lol.....Loving every minute of it.....
You go girl ()

Reactions: milleo

sory confused you with someone else i guess?

I am about a month away from payback on my stove. It cost me $900 as a used unit at my dealer that i got a 1 year warrenty with. Its a large cat stove. i installed it in Feb 2011. So by first of december i will break even i guess? I live in a 2500ish sqft home built 1950, r19 attic insulation no wall or floor insulation over 2/3 of that area, the stove room has r13 bats in walls. when we ran heatpumps we only set the heat on 58 on the other side of house and out side to 65 day temp and 62 night. With the stove i did not run a single heatpump and the bedroom was lower to upper 60's depending upon the night and its 55feet away from the stove through 2 doorways, stove room is 80+ degrees. We did not run a sigle heat pump this winter either.

One of the guys I know does land clearing and I got setup with truck loads for a great price (nearly free). I have almost 20 cords I need to cut and split when I get back from Maine later this month.

Skidded another 10 trees off this lot today. A real shame to see the woods behind me disappearing, but I have a guy coming in to plant 19 trees at the beginning of June, to build a nice buffer between my own house and what's happening back there. The 10 trees I skidded out were all 10" - 14" caliper ash, maple, and something with a smooth bark (maybe cherry), already felled and limbed for me by the land prep company.

I was too busy hooking chains and dragging to spend any time really looking over the load. Will try to get photos tomorrow, but the weatherman says we're heading into 4 solid days of rain.

I forgot my Stihl 036 pro was in the loader bucket at one point, when I started using the bucket to move around a few 12" diameter x 25 foot long logs. It fell out of the bucket at one point, and I don't know how it wasn't smashed to bits, but I can't find any damage. Lucky, this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.