Free VC Resolute and questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snotrocket

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2011
Maine
www.casecoltingersoll.com
I recently picked up a VC Resolute for the grand total of $0 and I have a few questions.

My plan is to set the stove on my existing fireplace hearth and run a double wall liner up my chimney. I'm wanting to go with an insert to use in the upstairs of my house in a few years when money isn't so tight and I'll need the liner at that point. In the mean time I was given the Resolute and would like to put it to work in the living room.

The front of my hearth is very small meaning it doesn't come out very far from the fire place. What kind of clearance do I need between the back of the stove and the brick? I'm thinking I can set it right up against the brick where the Resolute has a heat shield on it.

If my measurements are correct when I set the stove on the hearth the front legs will be within 1 inch of the front edge. Is this acceptable? If it isn't what a good small hearth pad I can use? The only way I'm getting the okay for this with the wife is if it doesn't stick out into the room to much.

Here's a few pics of the stove and 1 of the hearth to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

2012-02-21_18-01-31_882.jpg

2012-02-21_18-01-44_973.jpg

2012-02-21_18-28-46_356.jpg

The Resolute is a great little heater. Congratulations. You will need 16" of hearth in front of the stove. The picture posted does not show the full hearth so I am not sure about its design. A further back shot would help. It sounds like there will still be needed a simple hearth pad in front of the stove for ember protection. This can be removed in summer.

The chimney will need a liner. Not double-wall, but probably insulated. Please post a description of the current chimney including it's height, lining, throat size and location (interior or exterior).

BeGreen said:
The Resolute is a great little heater. Congratulations. You will need 16" of hearth in front of the stove. The picture posted does not show the full hearth so I am not sure about its design. A further back shot would help. It sounds like there will still be needed a simple hearth pad in front of the stove for ember protection. This can be removed in summer.

The chimney will need a liner. Not double-wall, but probably insulated. Please post a description of the current chimney including it's height, lining, throat size and location (interior or exterior).

The hearth in front of it is only 21 inches so I'll need to extend it with a small pad of some sort.

My current chimney is in the center of the house. It has 3 flue's. 1 for my boiler, 1 for my wood stove in the basement and the larger fireplace one. I figured the double would be over kill.

Any recommendations on a small pad? All the ones I've seen are huge

Thanks I'll check that out. I would like to be able to remove it.

Another question. The front of mine looks like it could accept a glass piece in the door. Mine is a cast piece. Does anyone online sell the glass insert piece for the front door?

Status
Not open for further replies.