Free White Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I have the opportunity to pick up some free White Oak rounds tomorrow. I know free is always a good thing, but I was wondering how White Oak compared with other oak species when it comes to seasoning. Oak is a great burning wood, but from my limited experience, it has to be really dry or it is the exact opposite. That is why I look for less dense hardwood.

Opinions?

Thanks
Art

White oak is the densest stuff I have ever burned. Takes two years easy to be at its best. Great stuff but a long time seasoning. Worth it.

I just cut some white oak today that had been down for a few years...wish I had more of it. Go for it especially if it's free.

At least 2 years drying is best for all types of Oak IMHO.

You had me at free! :) Let it sit for 18-24 months and enjoy it.

My experience, which seems to be counter to everyone else, is that white oak seasons quicker than red oak. I have burned it after a year, whereas red never seems ready then. I attribute this simply to fresh-cut white oak having less water to begin with than red oak. But either way it's one of the best types anywhere. Sadly red oak is far more prevalent here.

I just scored about 8 trees off C/L red and white oak and a hickory. The white oak is harded to split than red and the bark will make a mess of your pick up/hauler. Also if rounds are large they will be heavy. I would never pass over oak. Good score if you get it.

Oak = Great burning wood; one of the best
Free = The price is right.

Conclusion: You can't go wrong on a deal like this.

If you have the yard space for seasoning, it's a no brainer to grab it.

I like to burn seasoned oak, I just hate to store it for 2 yrs. I stay away from oak unless it falls in my lap (yard). I will work for ash, black locust, hickory, sugar maple, etc.

2 years from when it is split is my rule.
oak and white pine.

billb3 said:
2 years from when it is split is my rule.
oak and white pine.
Most any wood save some standing dead without bark, the clock starts ticking the day it's bucked and split. I like how some sellers claim log length sitting in a pile for years to be "well seasoned" when they buck, split, and deliver it the same day.

Take it, stack it out of the way somewhere and you'll be very glad you did when you burn it. Oak is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.