Free Willow Upstate NY! (AVON)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that the poster is having trouble even GIVING it away is proof of it's value. I stay as far away from willow as possible......

I took a load of the Sh@t one time....a waste of fuel, time, and energy. split it up for campfires this coming season....feel like schmuck every time I look at it.

I wouldn't even ruin a perfectly good campfire with that stuff.....three woods I stay away from are willow, katalpa, and sumac.......all junk and that willow smells like piss when burning.

coolfez said:
I'm not the one who posted the CL ad, and have never burned willow so didn't know it was a bad wood to burn
I'm not busting your chops, Fez. I'm just offering some of my own personal experience. I made the mistake of burning it one time and the whole dang neighborhood smelled like piss-on-a-campfire. I cut down some HUGE willows for a lady this summer, actually destroyed a chainsaw on one of them. They made my clothes stink so bad I almost had to throw them out. I brought it home, gave it to a buddy of mine who has an OWB. I can tell when he's burning it because when I drive by his place (he lives on a country backroad) the whole holler smells like piss. Besides that fact, it is a waterhogging wood, very heavy when green. When it dries out, it is super light and burns like a match. Makes a good, hot fire, but doesn't last long at all. I stay away from it, there's alot better woods out there to put in your stack that willow. Just my .02 cents....

Hey no offense taken!

I actually don't have a stove set up yet or anything, I am still in college but I am very big on alternative energy so I have always browsed CL and Freecycle for years. I first started to get interested in wood burning after I read an article about Masonry Heaters.

Since I am always on CL, I figured I would help some fellow Hearth members since I have learned a lot from here and if I can help some wood from being turned to rot and woodchips, better for the planet.

Here is another recent posting on CL, this is in the Rochester area and it is cotton wood.

here is the listing: http://rochester.craigslist.org/zip/2877641637.html

I also did some research this time, people say it is hard to burn but other have said it is just fine... Once again, I do not burn so have no first hand experience!
Here is the link that I was reading about:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16305/

A while back I had a friend with had a bad back who needed help cleaning up his yard after a storm and he had a ton of willow clean up. I gathered about a cord of it. Found it seasoned very quickly. Used it as a shoulder season wood. It worked.....burned fast but provided heat, . Under similar circumstances I would do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.