Free wood from next door!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
My neighbor has had a big ole red oak limb dangling over her shed for a few months now from a storm a while back. Well thanksgiving morning was real windy and it finally came down. Luckily, it missed destroying the shed and propped itself up on its limbs and just rested on the roof.

I went over the next morning and wrangled it down. The brush got chucked back in the woods, and everything big enough to split came with me :cool:. I ended up taking down a small red oak that was damaged by the limb, along with a standing dead cottonwood. There's another big dead cottonwood on her fenceline that I'll be going back for before it falls into her yard.

Anyways, heres the haul:

IMG_4788.png IMG_4278.jpg IMG_1575.jpg

The last 2 pics are of the smaller tree I took down, which I assumed was red oak. But when I split it I noticed how orange the ends were, and it lacked the distinct vinegary smell I usually get when splitting red oak. The bark was also pretty prickly/sharp. Anyone know what it is?

For petes sake remove the turniquet and let the blood flow back into your hand.

Richie is correct. You have some nice cherry there. Not quite up to par with oak but still very good wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.