Free wood: ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan125

Nov 18, 2013
idaho
The bark seems a bit scaly in places, I don't think it's cherry.
Neighbor said it was "Elm" but I don't agree.

Any help would be good. I got a truck load and it's still green and heavy but seems dense.

Attachments

• wood2neighnor.JPG
    wood2neighnor.JPG
    311.6 KB · Views: 266
  • woodneighbor.JPG
    woodneighbor.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 273
I'd agree with you that it's not elm. Second pic looks a lot like cherry, though.

I don't know what it is but I know I'm burning some of the same stuff. Came in a mixed load. It burns nice.

Bark looks like cherry

Doesn't look like any cherry I've seen. Looks like possibly in the oak family, maybe pin.

fv

Doesn't look like any cherry I've seen. Looks like possibly in the oak family, maybe pin.

fv
Looks like what we have been calling red oak. Real heavy.

Doesnt look like any kind of oak to me. The split face really looks like cherry

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here, ah, so to speak. I believe it is yellow or tulip poplar. The pieces shown are from a less mature upper limb piece so the bark has not furrowed as yet. Do you have a picture of a round from the trunk? I can't think of any wood, other than yellow poplar, that has the coloring shown in the first picture and Tulip is very heavy when green but light as a feather when dry. I'm also guessing the first picture was taken without a flash.

I'm with AmarilloSlim, Honey Locust.

I'm w/ nrford. That looks like honey locust.

After seen the second set of pictures I'm withdrawing my yellow poplar vote!:p If it's honey locust it must be one of the ornamental varieties cause der ain't none of dem man eatin' thorns on hit and I don't see no place where dey wuz agrowin'!==c

'

It looks to me like cherry....first pic is cherry....locust honey or black has a very distinct grain structure...very thin sapwood...almoat all heartwood..here are a couple pics

Attachments

• 20140111_161702.jpg
    20140111_161702.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20140221_164047.jpg
    20140221_164047.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 73
After seen the second set of pictures I'm withdrawing my yellow poplar vote!:p If it's honey locust it must be one of the ornamental varieties cause der ain't none of dem man eatin' thorns on hit and I don't see no place where dey wuz agrowin'!==c

'
around here it's all thornless honey locust from a tree farm. The first set of pics from the original poster are the same. Shade master locust if I had to guess. The second set of pics is a cherry round and .....Popple?

Status
Not open for further replies.