FREE WOOD ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN

Oct 22, 2009
CENTRAL CA
So I was looking around craigslist and found a post that said "Free tree" The person said that he had a tree that someone had tried to use as a landscaping project that went wrong. I went over to find the rounds pictured below. Total of 15 but 2 had termites so I left them so he could dispose of them. (I split them for him, so they could be more manageable) Looks like red oak to me but I am by far no wood expert so I leave it to you. These puppies are heavy 90+lbs per round the rounds ranged from 2-2.5ft in diameter and about 12-13in tall.

Attachments

• oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 477
Don't know what type of wood it is but it don't look like red oak. (east of the rockies that is) When split red oak has a distinct smell. The wood you have looks like cherry but the bark is wrong for cherry.

Cave2k said:
Don't know what type of wood it is but it don't look like red oak. (east of the rockies that is) When split red oak has a distinct smell. The wood you have looks like cherry but the bark is wrong for cherry.

The wood is very dense and heavy. It does resemble cherry wood now that you mention it.

hankjrfan said:
Does it split like super easy? It looks like black oak.

oh hell no! You see in the pic the 8lb maul I use well I'm 5'10" 230lbs and can swing a maul and I barely put a dent it it. Then again I hit it in the middle. I hit it on the far edge and still took about 4-6 good hits before I was able to break the round. After that some of the splits took a couple of hits. As a matter of fact if you look closely in the picture you can see the axe 4 maul marks where I had already hit it trying to break that one piece off. haha

EatenByLimestone said:
It looks like firewood to me. Split it up, stack it, and burn it next year.

Matt

Next year? I have some in the stove as we speak. When I split it it registered 08% on the meter. It coals up pretty well and maintains the heat good too.

"Free" seasoned wood....gotta luv dat!

Status
Not open for further replies.