Free wood is better, but is this a good deal?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Oct 13, 2006
A neighbor of mine has a bunch of split wood and rounds that he wants to sell. He is asking $100 per cord for the split stuff and $80 per cord for the rounds. Split mixed hardwood delivered in my area is approximately $150-175 per cord. Obviously with my neighbor I have to load and unload all the wood. Any opinion on whether this is a good deal? The wood is primarily maple and ash.

Shawn

Is this for a full cord of wood? If the wood is seasoned and in good shape (dry, not rotting), this sounds like a nice deal to me. Ash is great to burn. It sounds like a nice neighbor bonding opportunity.

Shawn, If you can hand pick it, sounds good to me. Leave the punky stuff and the bark behind. Get yourself a nice load of wood, with these temps you might need it.

He had a bunch of trees cut down last year and he pretty much just bucked the trunks and limbs and wants to sell it. Some of it he split, probably about 2 cords and the rest is rounds about 18 inch rounds. Pretty easy pickings as it's right by his close to his driveway. I thought it was a decent deal, I imagine we will "measure" together and come to an agreement on the total number of cords and I will take it all as none of it looks punky.

I am spoiled. I don't pay for wood.

I just finished splitting and stacking 2 full cords of silver maple that I got for free. That's the good news. The bad news is that I blew a seal on the 20 ton splitter that I borrowed from my neighbor. Even so, whatever it costs to fix will be cheaper than 2 cords worth of gas bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.