Free wood on Long Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife would kill me if I had a load of logs like that dumped!

I may just pay for a truck load of already cut logs, and just split. Not free, but still much cheaper than buying pre-split.
It may be worth it to avoid the hassle of more scrounging in my compact car.

If you're thinking of going that way, you're welcome to come and pick up from the next pile of wood have dropped here ... $20 + $0.99/mile to rent a U-Haul pickup. Got to be less than a 20 mile round trip. Plus ... there's beer here.

If you're thinking of going that way, you're welcome to come and pick up from the next pile of wood have dropped here ... $20 + $0.99/mile to rent a U-Haul pickup. Got to be less than a 20 mile round trip. Plus ... there's beer here.

That's very generous, thank you, but I've got a a massive pile sitting in the front yard I've got to get to before I'm allowed anymore wood on the property. I'll reconsider my options in a few months once I eat this elephant I've got out there.

Craig, I grew up in the Smithtown Pines. There's always good scrounging in there. My mom still lives there. I don't own a truck anymore so my scrounging is limited. I work in Westhampton so I'm always scrounging around there. We have a yard at work so I've been able to store a good amount of wood there. Still struggling with the neatest and most convenient stacking areas on my little 1/3 acre lot in Sound Beach, where I live.

Still struggling with the neatest and most convenient stacking areas on my little 1/3 acre lot in Sound Beach, where I live.

I hear ya.

I have a 1/2 acre lot, but less than half of it is in the back enclosed by a fence ... AND .. half of that is taken up by a pool, paving stones, and landscaping. The two stacks in my avatar are about all I have room for in the non-pool area without getting too close to the house and leaving myself room for a chopping area (that I can't leave looking like a war zone) ... I have 3 more stacks of the same size (4x10) behind the shed. Unfortunately, the stacks behind the shed don't get the wind/sun that the others do.

Status
Not open for further replies.