Free wood pickup etiquette

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, reread my reply and realized I was being long winded.
Shortened up version is I think that this is a case of lack of communication which can be frustrating when the real expectations are discovered.

Bigg_Redd boils it down pretty well.

I think you grab it all. You don't wanna seem like a chooch. Obviously he was counting on you to take all away. It may not be ideal but at the end of the day your better off that he called you then if he didnt

Reactions: NE WOOD BURNER
He never called me. I've been asking for 2 years, this day I called, he didn't know who I was a gave me adresses never said they have to be cleaned out. And I didn't leave a mess. I didn't cut anything and kept the stack intact. If he told me to take it all ahead of time I would've made the appropriate arrangement

He never called me. I've been asking for 2 years, this day I called, he didn't know who I was a gave me adresses never said they have to be cleaned out. And I didn't leave a mess. I didn't cut anything and kept the stack intact. If he told me to take it all ahead of time I would've made the appropriate arrangement

I stand corrected, I am reading on my mobile so maybe I misread. Either way do what you feel is right. You know the flavor of the conversation.

I felt he needed some wood picked up. I had zero clue if he was in fact using me to remove it all. I told him I had a small 4x8 trailer that can't carry too much, and he said OK that should be fine.
Given the circumstances that day I thought it was right, but after posting now I'm not sure.

Reactions: JTRock
Like the guy who has a picture of my old truck for his avatar says. :) The tree guy was expecting you to take it all. If you don't,his customer is not going to be happy about a pile of wood at his house that he likely paid to have removed. Tree guys are in the business of quickly and efficiently removing trees. Going back to clean up after you will waste his time and money.

Reactions: NE WOOD BURNER
Understood, but why not tell me that. I'm used to CL scrounging where you take what you can.

I would get it. Stack it and leave it until next year to split. Everyone keeps saying it doesn't start seasoning until it is split. So you'll have room to be able to split for a couple of years down the road after having used up what was already seasoned for this year.

It is common for professionals to extend courtesy of allowing you the avenue to gather your wood. It is expected also that in exchange for your wood you clean the mess.
There is nothing FREE in this world.
I agree, for the most part. However I got a total of 2 full 6.5' pickup beds full of free wood this week. A pile of elm was laying on a corner of the road on the way to work the other morning. Already cut, I just stopped and threw it in the truck. Today I was helping out one of our lowbed drivers dropping off a Gradall at my job. There was an arborist taking down a silver maple in the development next to the job. I asked the guys what they were going to do with the wood, they said take all you want. I promptly filled the same pickup bed full of free wood, in the back of my company pickup truck. Jackpot and double jackpot :cool:

Reactions: Mag Craft
Yeah I just wish I had a bigger truck. Or a trailer

So I have an issue. I called a tree guy posting on Craigslist and asked if he's doing any jobs today. He said yes, go here and then got wood down the road 5 min away. So I'm like cool.

So I get to the first house, took half figuring I'll help him out by taking some at the other house too. I only have a 4x8 trailer. So I load up everything I could fit come home and start unloading. Then he calls and says when are you coming for the rest?

Kind of taken aback I said maybe later. But I really don't plan on going back due to cost of gas making it unreasonable for free wood. If he told me upfront that I have to take everything I'd have just gone to one and declined the other. He's a local tree guy but I really don't want the rest. It's all maple and I know come fall oak and hickory will be everywhere.

Am I wrong? Should I go back?
I underlined where you screwed up.
The stand up thing to do would have been upfront with him instead of leaving him in the lurch as to whether you planned to clean up the rest or not, especially considering you already knew in your mind that you had no intention of going back. Sure he might not have liked the fact that you didn't get it all, but at least he would have known and been able to make the proper arrangements to clean up the rest.
Honesty is the best policy. No?

I picked up wood from two arborists this month, The second job had more wood than I could take in a trip with my truck and trailer. I called the arborist and they said they would pick it up.

They sent me a text over the weekend to ask if I wanted what was left. I really didn't need it but told them I would take it. I never thought I would say I have enough wood but I am digging myself into a splitting hole I won't be able to get out of if I keep picking up rounds.

I have a friend that is in need of firewood. I let the arborist know I would pick it up. They were very happy because it takes time to haul it to the dump and it is very expensive. I picked it up after work and will drop it off at my friend's house later this week. I called the tree cutter to let them know I picked up the wood and they were very happy.

I really didn't need the wood but I knew that it would help the tree guy and I have a friend that needs firewood. When I called the tree guy this afternoon they said I won't need for firewood and they would send dead chainsaws my way. I rebuild and sell dead saws so I am very happy. All that and I got to help a friend in need.

Bob

Sounds like a problem I'd like to have. Every tree guy I've called laughed at me when I asked for free wood. Many offered to sell it but I haven't found anyone willing to give it away.

Still learning...

I live in Santa Cruz County where burning is legal. I work in Santa Clara County where they have "Spare the Air" days in the winter and don't allow burning. If an arborist removes a tree in Santa Clara County they have a hard time getting rid of the wood because no one burns. I am finding gathering firewood is really easy for me.

I live in Santa Cruz County where burning is legal. I work in Santa Clara County where they have "Spare the Air" days in the winter and don't allow burning. If an arborist removes a tree in Santa Clara County they have a hard time getting rid of the wood because no one burns. I am finding gathering firewood is really easy for me.

Not familiar with California counties, but I knew that was Cali as soon as you mentioned "spare the air" days ;hm

In any case, if a tree cutter doesn't make it clear at the beginning that he needs you to take it all I don't see how you're supposed to know. But, taking it all may get you in good with the guy and he'll throw some more wood your way. It's all about building a good relationship and then you'll be neck deep on free wood ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.