Free wood! wowzers!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
So I am sitting at home playing with my 2 &1;year olds and my phone rings. I say "hello" (typical of me) and it is my buddy on the other end. He gives me a guys name and number and tells me to call him because he has wood that he wants to get rid of FOR FREE!

So I thought, ok I will bite. I call the guy and I tell him who I am, he says that he has wood if I want it and please come get it as he doesn't want to deal with it.

I ask how much wood are we talking about and he says J@&%@ CH&%@( I have to have at least 100 F*%#ing cord of it! I was like 100 cord? he says YUP.

I ask how much can I have and he said to come take some or all or whatever you want, just get it out so I don't gotta deal with it.

So I have to call him back with a meet time so he can show me where it is. Now I gotta find a way to move large quantities of wood. I can borrow a pick-up if need be and I can spend all the time I want getting it provided I have the pick-up handy.

Not a bad score eh?

You're going to want a little more than a pickup if you're planning on moving 100 cords... unless you want to make a couple hundred trips.

As somebody (I sincerely apologize for not remembering who) once said: "You can't have everything...where would you put it?" Rick

^^ Steven Wright.

If the wood is any good you might want to see about renting a grapple truck or something.

Rent one of these. We haul wood for a ton of guys from woods to their house.
LEE

Attachments

• ebay-racks-rim-voltage-caps-candle 008.jpg
    ebay-racks-rim-voltage-caps-candle 008.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 1,341
Todd said:
What kind of wood?

I am sure typical species for around here, Oak, Maple, Birch.

Also I don't want 100 cord and know i can't move that much wood all by my lonesome. I would be happy with 10 cord, a couple years worth.

fossil said:
As somebody (I sincerely apologize for not remembering who) once said: "You can't have everything...where would you put it?" Rick

So you can't remember, well then I'll wager that it was a parent who said it to one of their kids.

If in doubt - make something up. :lol:

Sure wish I lived closer and had the same friend you have.

Why isn't the person selling the wood? Where did all of it come from?

Maybe someday I will get a phone call. Until then I'll just have to keep on paying my wood guy. :-/

Nice. Rent the biggest truck you can. It'll be worth it. Buck and/or split ahead of time, and make fewer trips. And as to the variety, who cares? Nice job!

perplexed said:
Sure wish I lived closer and had the same friend you have.

Why isn't the person selling the wood? Where did all of it come from?

Maybe someday I will get a phone call. Until then I'll just have to keep on paying my wood guy. :-/

He said he simply doesn't want to deal with it.

This guy is a grounds manager for a place. Some of it was blow down and storm damage stuff from the december storm. The other stuff is trees that had to be taken down because they were problem trees, or taken down for expansion or whatever.

skinnykid said:
Todd said:
What kind of wood?

I am sure typical species for around here, Oak, Maple, Birch.

Also I don't want 100 cord and know i can't move that much wood all by my lonesome. I would be happy with 10 cord, a couple years worth.

I'm sure if you post the general location someone on here will volunteer to help you move 10 cords to your house if you help them load 10 cords for their house as well.

You aren't near Nashua by any chance are you? :-D

Actually Karl. the wood is in between My house and Nashua, closer to my house though.

I hope it isn't all willow or cottonwood....

Good luck on this deal skinnykid. You just may have a big time winner here.

Hmmm. I've got a Tacoma with 6' bed and a 4x8 utility trailer behind it (3/4 of a cord). I've got a friend in Candia with an F250 with 8' bed and a 16000lb GVWR 8x16 horse trailer (3 1/4 cord?). Two loads to each house ought to do it. ;-) ;-)

Ok, So I looked at the site today and the guy showed me around.

It is alot of storm damaged trees and blow down, some trees are standing and painted for take down. Lots of species of wood.

There is a tree service coming in to take the large pines and stuff close to the road or hazard stuff but that is it. Everything else is for my taking. He also told me that If I need more that is seen in plain view, I can simply go into the woods and take any d@mn tree I want, there is 200 acres there.

This place is a "condo" complex. Picture a Horse shoe. Some building are in the center with most on the outer edge.

Plenty of room to cut and get a truck were needed. Nothing to risky. I saw stuff that was down or snapped trees ranging in size from 4-6 inches and all the way up.

Anyone looking for Condo's round Nashua this weekend?
Just kiddin Skinny Kid....good score!

PapaDave said:
fossil said:
George Carlin?
Responded before reading the next post....DOH!

Yeah, I used to think it was Carlin, too. Just like something he'd say. But Mayhem nailed it. Rick

ilikewood said:

The grounds crew has orders to chase off anyone not driving the Skinny mobile. They will confiscate your saws (especially Husky and Stihl) and run you out! hahaha just kidding!

skinnykid said:
ilikewood said:

The grounds crew has orders to chase off anyone not driving the Skinny mobile. They will confiscate your saws (especially Husky and Stihl) and run you out! hahaha just kidding!

I'll hike in from the south along with my craftsman....they will never see me coming.

ilikewood said:
I'll hike in from the south along with my craftsman....they will never see me coming.
But they might hear you. Take a Swede saw, they're quieter.

hey skinny can i tag along? depending on where it is (from springfield) it might be worth it ... if i can get my friends dump... or i could use the pickup and trailer

It is really hard to gauge how much wood we are talking, Alot of it is still under the snow and the other is still standing. I mean there is alot there but I wouldn't want
to make false promises to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.