Free wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjm1017

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2012
Corapeake NC
I just got a phone call from a guy in the county that has two trees on the ground and about six more he plans to drop. He said hes not sure what they all are but he knows two are oak and theres a gum in there and its all mine if I want it and I do. Just thought I would share that. Ill be going over Saturday to get a couple loads and probably for the next couple of weekends.

I just got a phone call from a guy in the county that has two trees on the ground and about six more he plans to drop. He said hes not sure what they all are but he knows two are oak and theres a gum in there and its all mine if I want it and I do. Just thought I would share that. Ill be going over Saturday to get a couple loads and probably for the next couple of weekends.
Pics or it never happened..:p...you know the rules around here, brother!;)

Sweet.

Splitting there of bringing it home?

Get the gum split asap, gets tougher as it dries & it already tough enough.

This time of the year it's heavier, carful lifting & roll the big ones ;)

Pics are coming Ill be heading over there sat morning to get two trees the rest he hasn't dropped yet. When he said gum a chill went all the way down my spine. Remember trying to split that stuff when I was a kid and my dad wouldn't listen to me about getting a splitter until he finally tried it out. He went and rented a splitter that weekend and even that was struggling to get through it, but either way Im pretty stoked about getting this wood.

Hope you got more oak than gum. Free wood is the best.
Yeah...gum to a rookie too, doesn't sound too good. Lol but what do I know, good luck and go get it. Can anyone give us a gum lesson? Thanks

Yeah...gum to a rookie too, doesn't sound too good. Lol but what do I know, good luck and go get it. Can anyone give us a gum lesson? Thanks
Best I can tell is if you get gum for free and easy to access I would take it just know that its tough to split a splitter is the best way Ive found to split it its awfully hard to do by hand.

Heres a pic of some of the scrounge from last weekend. Theres about 20 ft more of this maple tree and then its on to the gum and oak. Theres also a large holly tree to take down and a really weird looking tree that I don't know what it is Ill put some pics of that up soon. IMAG0025.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yah. Euc turns to cement when dry. Good firewood tho.

See, that's where the confusion starts. On the west coast, the term "gum" comes from the Aussie name for eucalyptus. In the east (where eucalyptus isn't grown), "gum" is a common name for several species of Nyssa, also called tupelo.

Reactions: mattjm1017
Ah, tupelo. I see. Like tupelo honey in nar'lands? Makes sense now as oak is not as good for firewood as euc is.

Yes, we have lots and lots of gum trees here in the west that are eucs from Australia, mainly planted over 100 years ago. Some are actually new species that have naturally hybridized here. Well, south of here, anyway. This far north people keep plating them and a really hard frost into the single digits comes along every now and then, they croak, and I get good free firewood. You have to cut and split them when they are green or they turn to rock.

Well today I got a bonus score of some of my favorite wood of all times. Free split and seasoned! I got two trailers full all total probably about 3/4 cord and yes I included some pictures I got about half of it stacked already. I also include a picture of that weird tree I found wonder if anybody can tell me what it is the only thing I know about it is that its funny looking and smells sweet.

IMAG0033.jpg IMAG0027.jpgIMAG0032.jpg IMAG0026.jpg

I forgot to mention that the wood I got yesterday that was already split was being given away because and I quote " were done burning wood this year and don't have anywhere to put it and the landlord wants it cleaned up" Maybe its just me but if I had paid for wood I would find someway to stack it neatly out of the way and keep it for the next burn season, but they just wanted it gone so I was glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.