free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatisup02

Feb 3, 2012
MI
How far would you drive for free wood?

It depends how easy the access is, what type of processing is required, and to a lesser extent how good the wood is. For a whole trailer load of cut and split oak I can back the trailer up to I'd drive an hour, I think. For willow I have to cut myself and lug out of a muddy ravine I wouldn't even cut in my own yard, so that is zero miles. most other stuff is in between. If it is reasonable access and I have to cut it up probably 1/2 hour or 45 minutes or so is my limit.

Depends on what it is and how much work is involved. Yesterday drove 60 miles round trip for wood that was already split and seasoning for a year. It's ok so it could use another year and to boot I couldn't get it all so it will be another 2 trips. Easily 4 cord of wood. SCORE!!!

In NY, it's illegal to transport firewood more than 50 miles, but I wouldn't go that far anyway because it wouldn't be worth it. Right now, not more than 10 miles one way, but we have a rather small vehicle. Once the truck we've got is on the road and we build sides for our car trailer, I'd say 20 mile or so, depending on what we're getting because we can fit a lot more wood in the truck and on the trailer.

eclecticcottage said:
In NY, it's illegal to transport firewood more than 50 miles, but I wouldn't go that far anyway because it wouldn't be worth it. Right now, not more than 10 miles one way, but we have a rather small vehicle. Once the truck we've got is on the road and we build sides for our car trailer, I'd say 20 mile or so, depending on what we're getting because we can fit a lot more wood in the truck and on the trailer.

Where does it state that it is illegal to transport firewood more than 50 miles? I use a rack body truck so who is to say i'm not transporting trees that i cut down for someone?

whatisup02 said:

"To the ends of the earth"....and yes, I'm addicted ...LOL

Well I have all the free wood I want but its almost 100 miles 1 way. I can bring 1 cord at a time unless I can talk my dad into hauling his trailer then I can do 2-3 at a time.

whatisup02 said:
Well I have all the free wood I want but its almost 100 miles 1 way. I can bring 1 cord at a time unless I can talk my dad into hauling his trailer then I can do 2-3 at a time.
Better check your state laws. Here in PA we are not allowed to haul it more than 50 miles last time I checked, because of the possiblity of transporting and spreading the Emerald Ash Borer as well as other invasive insects. And there IS a fine if you get caught.

RORY12553 said:
eclecticcottage said:

Where does it state that it is illegal to transport firewood more than 50 miles? I use a rack body truck so who is to say i'm not transporting trees that i cut down for someone?

On the state DEC site: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/28722.html

And from elsewhere on the site, this is the penelty:

- Under the Environmental Conservation Law, violations of these regulations are subject to a $250 fine, plus a $100 civil penalty and up to 15 days in jail.

whatisup02 said:

200 miles is a long drive for a cord of wood. Ever think about a log load?

Log loads are about $100 a cord right now. With the cost of fuel, not to mention wear and tear on truck, it might just be cheaper/easier to have it delivered. I think I saw you are in MI. This guy is all over W. MI CL and there are plenty of others in the state that will deliver.http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/grd/2798959927.html

eclecticcottage said:
RORY12553 said:
eclecticcottage said:

On the state DEC site: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/28722.html

And from elsewhere on the site, this is the penelty:

- Under the Environmental Conservation Law, violations of these regulations are subject to a $250 fine, plus a $100 civil penalty and up to 15 days in jail.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I guess thats a way to motivate you to buy local even if its firewood.

How far would depend on lots of factors. Cost definitely has to be considered as gas plus wear and tear is very high. What type of wood? How much can you haul in one load? How badly do you need the wood? etc., etc.

I think ill only get some from there when I'm going there anyway. I never thought about the were and tear.

For me it would come down to how much could I haul in one trip, how much work is it to cut it/haul it out of the woods and what type of wood is it . . . fortunately I have access to the family land so free wood for me is only a 15 minute drive.

Pat53 said:
whatisup02 said:

"To the ends of the earth"....and yes, I'm addicted ...LOL

Love that Pat! A couple buds and I are thinking about making it a wood gathering/camping/fishing weekend out of it. Free wood, good friends and hopefully a 'Shore Lunch' to boot. Love being in the woods as opposed to a desk anytime.

firefighterjake said:
For me it would come down to how much could I haul in one trip, how much work is it to cut it/haul it out of the woods and what type of wood is it . . . fortunately I have access to the family land so free wood for me is only a 15 minute drive.

I will say I did drive 1 1/2 hours round trip once though . . . but here's the thing . . . the wood was cut and split and was primo oak, sugar maple and beech . . . and free. I even ended up driving back for another two trips.

firefighterjake said:
firefighterjake said:

I will say I did drive 1 1/2 hours round trip once though . . . but here's the thing . . . the wood was cut and split and was primo oak, sugar maple and beech . . . and free. I even ended up driving back for another two trips.

That is exactly my situation right now. It is all oak with a small amount of ash. The wood has been cut and split and top of all that has been seasoning for 18 months already. Top layer is touch and go but the rest is good stuff!

RORY12553 said:
firefighterjake said:
firefighterjake said:

That is exactly my situation right now. It is all oak with a small amount of ash. The wood has been cut and split and top of all that has been seasoning for 18 months already. Top layer is touch and go but the rest is good stuff!

Free oak and ash that has been cut and split for 18 months . . . seems like a no-brainer to me.

firefighterjake said:
RORY12553 said:
firefighterjake said:
firefighterjake said:

Free oak and ash that has been cut and split for 18 months . . . seems like a no-brainer to me.

Exactly. Got about a cord of it the other day and didn't even put a dent in what's there. Figure total cost for about 5 cords of wood for just gas and tolls will be about $150 so that isn't bad being a cord of "seasoned" wood goes for about 200-225 where i am and I would still have to stack it once it's dumped in my driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.