1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Freebies Yeah!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Plow Boy, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Plow Boy

Plow Boy Member

Loc:
    Iron Station, NC
    Scored this pinoak wood at by grandparent's house, some were so big we had to cut them in half to get them to the wood splitter. Used my buddie's Duerr 20 ton log splitter (that things a beast) and it busted them up. Had some crazy grain patterns on the rounds.and alot of knots. It was a really nice tree, but carpenter ants got in it and the foresty service told them it would become a hazard soon, so we had to take it out before it took the house out! We came we sawed we stacked LOL

Attached Files:

zap, ScotO, MasterMech and 5 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Nice score.
  3. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    helped the grandparents and got some wood all in the same day
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Good for you for getting this wood. Pretty much all pin oak is knotty; lots and lots of knots. But it is good firewood. You have to admit that the smell is a bit strong with this but I don't mind it. We also use a 20 ton splitter and it does just fine.

That second picture is really ugly! Cutting them like that can really makes some uglies but they still burn nice. Throw them in the stove when you don't need a full load. I like to cut those limbs closer to the trunk so as not to get so much of that but sometimes it can be difficult.

As for moving the logs, it is hard to beat a good cant hook.
    Canthook.jpg
  5. Plow Boy

Plow Boy Member

Loc:
    Iron Station, NC
    yeah, ive got to get a cant hook. as for ugly splits check out the blocks under the ceder tree, had alot of narley splits LOL

Attached Files:

6. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Nice score.
  7. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    Very nice to get it cut, split & stacked all at once. Me, I move everything 6 times before I'm done it seems.
    I would have killed for a Cant Hook yesterday to maneuver red oak rounds that were smaller than that. Rolling was no problem, but positioning them in the splitter, ugh.
  8. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Nice score:cool:
  9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Nice score.
    Gnarlys burn too :)
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

great stuff there! I find that the knarly, twisty stuff sometimes holds a longer burn time, call me crazy. Seems those nasty knarly splits, as unruly in the stack as they are, make some of the best wood. When I get wood like that and it won't split right, I noodle it into slabs and put it on the stack in random spots. Makes great banking wood....
  11. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    I believe your right Scottyboy, them knarls do get longer burn times. The grain has got to have something to do with it.
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yes they do. I threw a big knarl in the NZ this morning off of a huge ash tree I cut down several years ago. it was a big yard bird (it was the tree that I destroyed three chains on due to railroad spikes in the trunk), anyway it had some big knarls in it, and I am burning some of that wood now. That knarl lasted all friggin day. That tight, twisty grain makes it super dense.
    Backwoods Savage and Thistle like this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Have to agree Scott. We learned that many, many moons ago. In fact, we tend to save some of the really knotty stuff for mid-winter when it will hold the fire longer.
  14. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    I'm doing that right now actually, not very cold out so half of a big Sillver Maple crotch is in the insert on a long slow burn.