Freestanding Blaze King Princess 1980??? Something Help needed !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitewolf643

Nov 7, 2008
Eastern WA
Ok I'm new to the wood burning world but due too finances I'm stuck. My lanlord got this stove for our house since I cannot afford oil. Who can. Anyways this thing was in bad shape. the inside top was warped. I think you call it over burn. That is mild too say the least. So I read & read on this stove. Had it installed right and then a guy locally here who I found out is welder took the stove and basically put in a new ceiling in it with diamond plate. He blew this out from top too bottom and repaired all the cracks he found on the side. Great welder really. My issue is from reading here ( thank God for you guys ! ) Is he removed the rod ( said it was warped beyond use ) that hook from the draft door and kept the front doors locked. My question is does that rod control the Cat ??? I keep reading about opening the Cat and closing the Cat.I can find no other levers ( Lord I hate sounding stupid ) That control anything but the draft door or the doors.
I know I need too replace the Cat and The seals on the door but is it useless if this rod is gone ??
Any help would be appreciated cause this is one finicky stove and I'm trying too get it too be safe too use again.

I had thought Washington state, like California, tightly regulates new wood stove installations, requiring new installs to be EPA certified stoves. Some of the members living in your state can confirm. If that's the case, it's not legal to install that stove. Sorry, if your landlord is too cheap to spring for a new stove, you may be stuck with buying oil, if you can't convince him to get a good, inexpensive EPA stove, like an Englander. Good luck.

It is a "cat stove"--so if working properly will probably meet Wa.state emission standards.

Actually, if what I've heard from people who live in Washington state is true, new installs must be EPA-certified. Just being an older CAT model may not cut it. Maybe you should contact your county. Hopefully, someone from Washington state will weigh in.

Being a used stove, I think the EPA issue is moot. Unlike Oregon, WA state does not forbid the resale of older stoves (yet).

The linkage mechanism, if it controls the bypass, is critical. If the stove is now set up so that the bypass is always engaged, the stove is not going to work well at all. Most likely the catalyst will plug up quickly due to the cold starts. Have you checked the combustor to see if it is clear or if it's plugged?

Here's a link to an older Blaze King Princess manual (for the PE 1000). http://tinyurl.com/6rqnju I'm not sure if this is your model or not, but hopefully it will help. You could also give them a call down in Walla Walla.

Blaze King Industries-USA
146 A Street
Walla Walla, Washington 99362
Phone: 509-522-2730

Begreen, are you sure about that? On the Washington State Ecology Dept. web page, in bold, there's the statement: "It is illegal to install an uncertified stove in Washington, " no limiting reference to installation of "new" stove, but the more encompassing term "stove." Here's that web page with a link to the list of certified stoves (link immediately follows the bolded statement about it being illegal to install an uncertified stove)-- Link to Washington State certified stoves. I was told a horror story by one Washington state resident who has vacation property here about his efforts to get approval for the installation of a new EPA certified stove that wasn't included on the state's list. According to him, he had to write to the manufacturer to get them involved with the state as well as provide copies of the stove pamphlets showing EPA certification and wait nervously before he could get approval. The link on the Washington state web page is to an Excel spreadsheet. There's one Blaze King Princess free-standing model on the list--the PEJ 1006. If you're lucky, that's your model. At a minimum, the stove may have to be rated to emissions of no more than 2.5 grams per hour to meet Washington state's tougher emissions standards, which I read to apply to all new installs, including new installations of used stoves..

Note I said resale. The ruling I believe only applies to new stoves that are sold through a business. Regulating private sales would be almost impossible. And I suspect installations of used stoves are rarely reported.

"To be sold in Washington, all wood burning devices must meet both EPA’s standards and Washington’s stricter standards.
Any new wood burning device sold, offered for sale, or given away to Washington residents must meet Washington’s standards. Even devices that are exempt from EPA certification must meet Washington standards. "

Begreen,

I think you hit the nail on the head with your point that most don't report installations of used, uncertified stoves. The prohibitive language on installation is broad enough to include absolutely all installations--"It is illegal to install an uncertified stove in Washington." Most Washington county permitting regulations are more explicit, stating: "Used stoves and inserts may not be reinstalled in a home unless they are certified." If you have a smoke dragon that had already been installed before this law went into effect, you're grandfathered in and don't have to worry about being told to remove your stove. Otherwise, if you're adding a new or used stove to your home, the new law kicks in. With the EPA's PM25 standards finally in effect, I look to see all states banning the installation of uncertified stoves within the foreseeable future (some states may actually impose emission standards tougher than the EPA's, like Washington does).

J643, since you aren't the property owner, you shouldn't need to worry about any regulatory infringement action should local authorities ever question the installation. It's your cheap landlord whose neck will be on the chopping block and rightly so. Good luck with staying warm this winter--if that stove's unsafe, I'm not sure I'd run it. You don't want to risk your safety and the safety of your family. Your landlord needs a good swift kick to his derrière for proposing to install potentially unsafe, illegal equipment.

I'm still looking for language about the installation. Can you point me to it? So far all I can find covers just the sale of new equipment. It's probably staring me in the face, but I'm missing it.

The linkage mechanism, if it controls the bypass, is critical. If the stove is now set up so that the bypass is always engaged, the stove is not going to work well at all. Most likely the catalyst will plug up quickly due to the cold starts. Have you checked the combustor to see if it is clear or if it’s plugged?

Here’s a link to an older Blaze King Princess manual (for the PE 1000). http://tinyurl.com/6rqnju I’m not sure if this is your model or not, but hopefully it will help. You could also give them a call down in Walla Walla.

Ok I think I will just have too call down to Walla Walla too find out. This thing overburns QUICKLY ! And as far as my landlord goes , he is a good guy just ...well broke and let his wife come here too buy it. Loooong story but I'm lucky too have this or it be like last year with no heat. With all the references in the world short of 3 grand in cash and a prayer being disabled this rental is as good as it gets with 4 kids and dogs. This market, hec any rental market in the USA is so restrictive from the butt heads that ruined it for me.
Anyways sorry for sliding off post but I want this thing too run as proper as i can get it before I blow this place up. One thing I learned real quick No pine. Oh that was scary as hell . And no it wasn't loaded above the line.
Oh and yes the guy that welded it took a air compressor too every hole in this thing and unpluged it. He said it was jammed up.

Have you located the bypass lever on the side? Are you engaging it once the stove gets hot? The stove should have a thermostat on the back that controls the air damper. With the bypass engaged, and the thermostat turned down, the stove should respond with a lower fire. If that control has been removed, and the stove is running wide open, don't run the stove.

Also, did you confirm that the stove has been installed per the manual's clearances? That's equally important. Be safe, your family is depending on it.

It may still be out of any price range you're working with, but this stove: http://www.englanderstoves.com/30-nc.html

Can be had for about $1000. It is a heating mother, and depending on how much SF you're heating, its little brother can be had for less. You mentioned four kids, and I think you would find that something like this would make your life much easier than the cobbled together stove you're working with now. Maybe the landlord would split the cost with you? Just a thought.

Have you located the bypass lever on the side? Are you engaging it once the stove gets hot? The stove should have a thermostat on the back that controls the air damper. With the bypass engaged, and the thermostat turned down, the stove should respond with a lower fire. If that control has been removed, and the stove is running wide open, don’t run the stove.

Also, did you confirm that the stove has been installed per the manual’s clearances? That’s equally important. Be safe, your family is depending on it.

Thats why I'm here, 4 kids.
Yes the Thermostat control is there in the back and mechanically works. the fire does die down if I lower the number. The guy who the landlady bought it from said just leave it wide open. I knew then he done something terribly wrong so back then I brought up the owners manual on line.
As far as tempature thermostate on the top of the unit .......no I need too get one of those.
The bypass door functions but the welder told me it doesn't seem too get a tight seal when down. Maybe I can fix that.
I know I have too clean the stack alot this winter because most all my wood is green and as I said pine just burns way too hot for this old stove.So I set the stove up on 2 full length bricks . It is easier that way for me too unscrew the stove and pull the bricks out too clean the stack. I can't do roofs in braces.
I really appreciate your help. Alot.
Oh and BTW my unit , you think this is bad ?? I've seen Blaze Kings advertised here that OMG I would of never put in a house. So no one regulates used stoves least in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.