freestanding in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
I want to avoid using an insert, I have an interior chimney, am I going to waste a ton of heat in an up the chimney if I put a summit or super 27 into my fireplace half way? My fire place opening is only 34 inches high. That should give me 5 inches of space above the top of the stove.

Thoughts? My wife likes the look of the pe classic line better the rear exit stoves we have seen or the inserts.

Rob

I'm thinking of doing the same thing (except we need to lower the stove, our opening is only 31"). I'm thinking of putting some insulation above the stove to reduce heat loss going upward.

Ken

I live in Virginia and the weather isn't that much different from Bellingham, sans the rain and clouds, and burn an Englander 30-NC halfway into a fireplace. Sucker will overheat our 2500 sq. ft. two story house in a heartbeat. The Summit or Super 27 should produce about the same heat.

Get the blower to move the air out into the living space.

Rob, good choice. Check out: www.chimneysweeponline.com and then go visit with Tom's shop. You are fortunate to have a 1st class store in your town.

I'm also considering installing a freestanding in my fireplace. I've considered inserts as well as a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace. The inserts present mantle clearance problems; the same is true with a freestanding sitting in front of the fireplace. If I were to go with the freestanding in front of the fireplace, I would have to build the hearth pad out into the room. With young children, this could be a problem -- plus it starts to look a bit utilitarian. I know stoves are by nature utilitarian, but in our case we're looking for supplemental heat and want to strike a balance between looks and function.

All of that said, I have a basically brand-new Hearthstone Tribute I got a great deal on sitting in my garage and awaiting installation. I plan to have a couple inches of the stove sticking out of the front of the fireplace and expect to lose some heat to the masonry. Would installation of a rear heat shield with a blower be a waste of money or a setup that would allow me to lose less heat to the masonry of my exterior chimney and get enough of that heat into my home to justify the expense?

Yep I stopped by Tom's shop today but I only had a few minutes after kayaking. Classic WA weather cloudy, windy in the 40's and I got a sunburn go figure. Anyway I will have to spend some more time there with pictures and measurements of my hearth. I realized that I can't put the stove in half way, the mantle is too close. (18 foot 2 by 8 solid oak 1 piece no knots no way I am getting rid of it)
Perhaps I am just making things too difficult, an insert would just take care of it. But no way I can live with the stock metal surround. Perhaps I will reface the hearth and fireplace with slate, and nearly butt it up to the insert. Ya thats simple....

Byron said:
I'm also considering installing a freestanding in my fireplace. I've considered inserts as well as a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace. The inserts present mantle clearance problems; the same is true with a freestanding sitting in front of the fireplace. If I were to go with the freestanding in front of the fireplace, I would have to build the hearth pad out into the room. With young children, this could be a problem -- plus it starts to look a bit utilitarian. I know stoves are by nature utilitarian, but in our case we're looking for supplemental heat and want to strike a balance between looks and function.

All of that said, I have a basically brand-new Hearthstone Tribute I got a great deal on sitting in my garage and awaiting installation. I plan to have a couple inches of the stove sticking out of the front of the fireplace and expect to lose some heat to the masonry. Would installation of a rear heat shield with a blower be a waste of money or a setup that would allow me to lose less heat to the masonry of my exterior chimney and get enough of that heat into my home to justify the expense?
I have a Homestead with a heat sheild, and the sheild does reflect a lot of heat back into the room

Thanks for the feedback, Wood Wacker. I have a freestanding Homestead in the back part of my house and love it. Is your Homestead IN your fireplace? How much extra space does the rear heat shield take up in the back? In other words, if I was going to have the Tribute sticking out two inches and add a rear heat shield, how much further will the stove stick out? Do you use a blower as well? If no, do you know where the blower hooks up (top, bottom?)? I've never seen a blower attached to a Hearthstone and wonder if it would work IN a fireplace.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.