Freestanding options for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
Instead of installing an insert, I was thinking of a freestanding on the hearth in front of the opening. Since my fireplace is only 24" tall I most likely couldn't get it inside the fireplace. I guess I'm looking for wood stove options that have a rear exhaust that will be able to exit below the fireplace opening. If this make no sense I will try better, let me know.

Oh yeah. I' looking for a stove that will heat about 2,000 sf. Also, I'm looking for the most inexpensive stove that qualifies for the 30% tax credit.

Thanks

This thread covers what I am (trying) to do. I am complicating it by also trying to close in the fireplace - leaving it open is much easier. The stove I'm installing is a Jotul F500.

Ah, but the F500 needs 29" clearance, so that one is out at least.

There may be a rear vent stove hiding out there with a flue exit that low that can tackle 2,000 sq. ft. but I don't know what it would be and really doubt that it exists.

BrotherBart said:
There may be a rear vent stove hiding out there with a flue exit that low that can tackle 2,000 sq. ft. but I don't know what it would be and really doubt that it exists.

That's good to know, I've been killing myself looking to no avail.

I don't think there is one that could handle 2000 sq ft. Why not an insert? There are plenty of good looking ones out there that can easily heat that area. Is this a masonry fireplace, maybe you could vent it above the fireplace opening or make some modification to the opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.