Freezing my forced hot air pipes.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rphurley

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2008
Central/Eastern CT
Hello,
I recently in stalled a I3100 in my living room. I do worry about the forced hot water pipes that go to my bedroom as they run over my garage and I can only assume that they are pretty well insulated, If my heat is not kicking on so much, because of the stove, then how concerned should I be that these pipes might rupture during the cold season. My neighbor has a same situatuation and she tells me not to worry about it. Would putting my thermostat in the bedroom help it to kick on more frequently?

My very first year burning wood in my own house(about 25 years ago), I planned on saving a pile of money for me and my wife by heating with wood. Woodstove was nice and toasty, unfortunately all the pipes in the house froze up and cracked in about 100 places one bitter cold January night...needless to say, I could have heated with oil much, much cheaper than those repairs cost me....

I say, don't ignore the problem. Do some investigating and figure out if you are likely to have a problem, and if you are, figure out away around it. More insulation, a pump that keeps that water moving, running the heat thru the pipes, pipe tape etc....all those options will be cheaper than fixing it after-the-fact.

Thanks Mr Ed,
I think I'll talk your advice and the advice of others in this forum and thouroughly investigate my options.
I appreciate you sharing your bad experience.
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.