Fresh Air Intake Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windsword

Oct 25, 2008
Northern, ME
I need to install a fresh air intake for my pellet stove. The flexible metal tube is about 1.5 feet too short. I was going to use PVC pipe through the wall and connect the metal flex between the stove and the PVC. In the install book it says that PVC is NOT approved for the fresh air intake. I want to know if this is because there is a chemical makeup that the PVC outgases (like new cabinets do formeldahyde) and would cause toxic fumes or if its just because they are afraid some idiot would attatch the PVC directly to the stove. So i'm wondering if it would be ok to set it up like I am intending to do or if this is a big No No.

I'm using white 1-3/4" pvc through the wall and attached it to the stove with a rubber coupling.No smell so i wonder why your not suppose to use it.My manual says nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.