fresh air intake recommendation for 30-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grokcam

Oct 14, 2014
Mass
Any recommendations for a fresh air intake for the 30-NC, should I spend the money on the one from Englander, pick something up from a box store, or other source/brand/model? Lowes seemed to only have 4" stuff.

My opinion? If Englander can supply you with what you need, they're the experts on their own stoves. And they have an excellent reputation and will help you with any problems you may have regarding an Englander installation. And you can't beat their prices anyway.

FWIW, I don't know your situation, but an outside air kit is almost always the way to go.

I run mine without it and have no problems at all but my house is not real tight. I believe you get the most out of an OAI with a really tight home but I still think about trying it sometime?? You may want to run the stove w/o one and see how it performs first??

Massachusetts code to have one according to building inspector. Don't see anything special about their wall bracket so might just go w/ a home depot model that looks promising. I want to use rigid pipe and probably insulate it as I can imagine condensation with all that cold air running thru.

Whether or not to use outside air is another debate. It's the law that I use it here and it is the best way.

The question is about the NC30 and the englander's kit. I have an NC30 and it already has a nice accessible nipple on the back of the stove that is super easy to put the semi rigid metal conduit over and hose clamp in place. There is no need for anything custom or OEM to install an outside air setup on this stove.

My BK has the optional OAK setup from BK and with that stove you had to buy their OAK kit because that kit included the nipple. Without that part, you could not easily hook up an OAK. Same deal with the Hearthstone.

I recommend going to HD and buying the hose, dryer vent outlet, and hose clamps off the shelf for the NC30. The stove is ready for hookup.

Reactions: BrotherBart
I agree Highbeam, just have to be careful of the vent outlet as most are set up for exhaust w/ flappers and the like. I'm looking for one preferably all metal, no flapper, metal screened, somewhat wind shielded, and in 3" hopefully so I don't have to find a metal 3 to 4 inch adapter. Also am a little concerned with the whole excess pressure thing as it will be subjected to wind. Didn't know if anyone has found a particular model to be on the lookout for.

Status
Not open for further replies.