Fresh Air Intake...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambruins

Jun 26, 2008
Chazy, NY
I have heard a couple different opinions on the fresh air intake for pellet stove. I have a Kozi Previa. I have heard the following two theories:

1. Install a fresh air intake pipe from the stove to the outside. This method is more efficient because the stove will use outside air instead of "sucking" air from inside the house. By "sucking" air from inside the house cold air will be pulled in through any window/door/crack/hole in the house which will just create cold drafts.

2. Do not install a fresh air intake pipe and let the unit use air from inside the house because condensation will form on the fresh air intake pipe and rust the pipe and/or get into the pellet stove and rust the stove itself.

Any suggestions as to which is the best method. I have an old farm house so efficiency of the house is not very good. I will be improving this over the next few years. Thanks.

in your case, you might not "need" an oak (outside air kit), as the house is drafty. But, the presence of an oak might allow you to install your stove closer to a door or window. (code...but because there is less chance that the stove could suck its own exhaust back in an open window). And its not just that "drafts are uncomfortable". Its like running the heat with a window open. you're pulling in cold air into a place that you're trying to heat. And once you've paid money to heat that air, you're sucking it back out of the house through the stove.

condensation: yeah, a metal intake pipe can get condensation on it, but a little insulation wrapped around it will cure that. rusting out the inside of the stove? thats just silly. It would be more likely if you weren't using an oak. There is way more water in the air that is in your house, than in the cold, dry, outside air. when it hits that fire, its going to dry out right quick. You don't get condensation from heating up cold air; you get condensation from cooling off warm air. very much like squeezing a sponge.

Status
Not open for further replies.