Fresh air kit question for future upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dissonance

Jan 30, 2018
South Dakota
Hello! This is my first post here. I learned an incredible amount reading on your forum today. The closest fireplace store and chimney sweep are an hour from my home. They have been somewhat helpful, but they haven't been able to answer all my questions. I'm hoping to get some advice here.

My house has a zero-clearance manufactured fireplace in the main living area of the house, which is in the basement. (I attached some pictures.) The fireplace is enclosed in plywood with a faux brick covering. The opening is about 42" by 31". My house was built in 1908, but I think the fireplace was installed in the 1970s. The inspector when we bought the house and chimney sweep said it's up to code.

Our normal routine is to build a fire before bed while we read, listen to music, or watch tv. The fireplace isn't efficient. It produces adequate heat, but goes through wood quickly. The house is large, and the temperature at the back of the house drops when we build a fire.

The master bath is just above between the fireplace and outside wall. In two weeks, this bath is going to be gutted for a remodel. This will be the only opportunity to put in a fresh air duct. Over the summer, I would like to put in a wood burning insert rated for zero-clearance fireplaces.

I've been looking on many manufacturers' websites. I've contacted some of them directly, but the information I'm seeking is eluding me. Is there a wood burning insert rated for zero-clearance manufactured fireplaces with a hole for a fresh air kit?

Attachments

• fp1.jpg
    fp1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 262
  • fp2.jpg
    fp2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 219
Hello! This is my first post here. I learned an incredible amount reading on your forum today. The closest fireplace store and chimney sweep are an hour from my home. They have been somewhat helpful, but they haven't been able to answer all my questions. I'm hoping to get some advice here.

My house has a zero-clearance manufactured fireplace in the main living area of the house, which is in the basement. (I attached some pictures.) The fireplace is enclosed in plywood with a faux brick covering. The opening is about 42" by 31". My house was built in 1908, but I think the fireplace was installed in the 1970s. The inspector when we bought the house and chimney sweep said it's up to code.

Our normal routine is to build a fire before bed while we read, listen to music, or watch tv. The fireplace isn't efficient. It produces adequate heat, but goes through wood quickly. The house is large, and the temperature at the back of the house drops when we build a fire.

The master bath is just above between the fireplace and outside wall. In two weeks, this bath is going to be gutted for a remodel. This will be the only opportunity to put in a fresh air duct. Over the summer, I would like to put in a wood burning insert rated for zero-clearance fireplaces.

I've been looking on many manufacturers' websites. I've contacted some of them directly, but the information I'm seeking is eluding me. Is there a wood burning insert rated for zero-clearance manufactured fireplaces with a hole for a fresh air kit?
That z.c. has been badly modified. It no longer looks safe to burn in or to put an insert in.

Last edited:

It doesnt look right at all to me is the id tag still in it? If so what is the make and model

Most of the UL listed "zero clearance" fireplaces are listed as a system, and only components tested in the original listing are approved for use. That means that most, if not all wood stove inserts cannot be used. One of the problems is that if you block the ventilation openings between the firebox and the outer shell of the fireplace in the course of installing the insert, it can result in the outer shell overheating and starting a fire. You may want to consider tearing it all out and replacing it with a woodstove and insulated flue, with proper clearances to combustible surfaces.

Reactions: au2183 and bholler
Most of the UL listed "zero clearance" fireplaces are listed as a system, and only components tested in the original listing are approved for use. That means that most, if not all wood stove inserts cannot be used. One of the problems is that if you block the ventilation openings between the firebox and the outer shell of the fireplace in the course of installing the insert, it can result in the outer shell overheating and starting a fire. You may want to consider tearing it all out and replacing it with a woodstove and insulated flue, with proper clearances to combustible surfaces.

I think if I find an insert that would work, ultimately it won't be that great of a setup. I think you're right in that I should put in a woodstove. Thank you all for your assistance! I got the information I need. Since many woodstoves have holes for fresh air kits, I'm going to put one in the floor in the bathroom above when we gut the room later this month.