fresh air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfkiller

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2008
Salcha alaska
Do you all think there is a good reason to install a outside air kit on my blaze king. It is a classic king with cat. I love the way it heats my house I am just wondering it I would use less wood with the outside air kit. I am heating about 2500 sq ft in North Pole Alaska.

On a side note I have noticed wood seems to dry quickly here in the winter. I have some 4 month old split birch I am saveing for next year. I brought a peice of it in warmed it up and it was 12% on the moisture meeter. It did not dry that quickly in the heat of the summer. Just found it odd.

Yes you should add the fresh air kit. Your stove with it's 8" flue is sucking warm and humid room air into the firebox and then sending it up the chimney. This requires that new air be sucked into your home to make up for it. The new air is cold and when warmed up to a comfortable inside temperature it will be eceedingly dry. More humidity and less energy spent heating the make up air means less wood use and more comfort. I don't think you'll notice the wood use as much as the humidity change. Check out the link in my picks for how I did the outside air plumbing.

I was looking at BKs yesterday and wish I had the proper location for the king model. I like the classic with the fan, cat, and stat. 4.6 CF of highly functional ugliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.