fresh air kit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannMarr

Nov 29, 2009
Scranton
I bought a used Castile insert. The previous owner did not have a fresh air kit installed. He was using the air from the existing fireplace chimney. The 3''exhaust lining was running through a 6'' lining. that is where the fresh air was coming in. I set it up the same way, is this enough fresh air?

There are several of good dealers/installers here that will hopefully chime in...

One thing to consider is making sure the exhaust isn't going to get into the outside air... I know there are recommended clearances that need to be met. My OAK (outside air kit) is an all-in-one design (I have a horizontal vent on my freestanding stove). The outside air comes in around the vent separated by about 6" but the design meets code and is sold throughout North America. My point is there may be several different ways to get the same results.

I believe outside air is important to the safe operation of a pellet stove. Aside from providing fresh air for the stove (like a high efficiency NG furnace would need), the possibility of using up too much oxygen in the house is reduced. Say your have a pellet stove without outside air.. and also are using a gas cooking range, a gas water heater. a gas fireplace, a gas clothes dryer... any of these, or a combination of these appliances, running on just the air inside the house, could burn up enough oxygen to make it dangerous.

An outside source of air would be peace of mind... just food for thought.

Welcome to our little world of pellet burners...

By volume I would say yes.

But really need photo's of the termination at the top. The intake for the OAK has to be lower than the Vent outlet. You may have a chance to suck back the vent gas.

There should be a spec in the stoves manual for the distance between the intake and the vent.

Curious to how the OAK and 6" are joined at the stove too.

Status
Not open for further replies.