Fresh carrots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First year I had a garden here I had some deer come in and it looked like someone had run a lawn mower through my garden . . . albeit the "mower" was about 6 inches high. Ever since then I've set up a deer fence . . . only 3 feet or so high . . . but it's enough to deter them from my garden.

firefighterjake said:
. . . only 3 feet or so high . . .

You must have dwarf lazy deer. I had to reinforce our 8 ft high vinyl coated wire fence with heavy gauge wire as it looked like they were ramming it at high speed and breaking the welds apart until they had a section knocked down.

SolarAndWood said:
firefighterjake said:
. . . only 3 feet or so high . . .

You must have dwarf lazy deer. I had to reinforce our 8 ft high vinyl coated wire fence with heavy gauge wire as it looked like they were ramming it at high speed and breaking the welds apart until they had a section knocked down.

HehHeh . . . probably lazy . . . the first year I actually ran the fence all the way up -- about 6 or so feet high . . . and then I got lazy and just did the 3 feet . . . and surprisingly enough it works.

Now truth be told . . . I suspect the deer see or brush up against the net and simply are spooked since it is a bit difficult to see . . . that and there is plenty of other food for them to eat in the area without even having to jump the fence . . . apples from the many apple trees, clover in the field across from me, etc.

That's what drove us nuts. There is tons of forage all around for the deer, but they just love to munch on things growing in our yard. I mean, they come up on a paver patio and eat flowers in boxes right up against the house! They would be over a 3ft fence here in a NY minute. And that is inspite of (or maybe because of) old apple trees all around for them to fatten up on.

Solarandwood, sounds like your property intersects a major migration route. Are you sure you don't have some moose up there?

WOW BeGreen, that is impressive. I might be at FT. Lewis for a few days this summer, maybe I'll take a walk and try to find you. I'm sure the pics do the whole setup little justice. Is that a yin-yang, or a couple of little fishes you made there?

BeGreen said:
Solarandwood, sounds like your property intersects a major migration route. Are you sure you don't have some moose up there?

I haven't heard of any moose around here but I am only a few miles from downtown. You are spot on with the migration route. There is an old ATT right of way across the bottom of the property and I am pretty sure that is where they all come from. The right of way is a pretty clear path through mostly scrub and hits a large electric and gas right of way about a quarter mile away.

Hah! Talk about an old thread coming back to life. I had to add something in here so you could all see this beautiful landscaping job of Begreen's at the beginning of the post. Very, very nice Begreen! The last time I was out your way to my sister's house around Redmond was about 27 or 28 years ago! I guess. I was about 17! !!! It is a really beautiful area. (No comments out of the peanut gallery about age!)

Our house isn't that neat!:(

Nor ours, lol.

We had to fence this whole thing with chicken wire,,, surprisingly not for the deer,, but because of our free range chickens... We kept loosing all our ripe tomatoes, ripped up a bit and never saw a chicken in the garden until a month went by.. So up went the chicken wire...So far they have enough to eat that they haven't flown over the top of the fence.. Wow real nice place you have BeGreen..You guys must can a lot? Vegetarians?
100_7154.JPG

Thanks. We were vegetarians many years back but now eat chicken and fish too, and I've munched on some bacon now and then. Hard to resist.

Thanks. We were vegetarians many years back but now eat chicken and fish too, and I've munched on some bacon now and then. Hard to resist.
Wife and I try to eat a raw diet as much as we can but not 100% either.. Fruits and veggies sure make you feel good.. Sometimes no dinner,, we'll split a quart of fresh juiced veggies! My self I grow my own wheatgrass and juice that as well... Nice growing your own food and knowing what your eating! Fresh is best!

Looks like you have a mighty nice garden there supplying those fresh veggies too.

I have to expand our garden this year again. We need more of those vegetables. We run out too early in the winter and are back to the stuff you can find in the grocery. Nice gardens there gentlemen.

Looks like you have a mighty nice garden there supplying those fresh veggies too.
Was actually too big the first year, wasted a lot... This year I'll throw a lot through my juicer,, I love doing that.. Your body likes that plus lots of nice energy to get things done...

Status
Not open for further replies.