Fresh cut wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neumsky

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2011
Oklahoma City
So...I'm getting wood for the first time. Picked up this wood along the road that the city is cutting down for power lines. Can't even tell you what they are. There is varying species. So I get my brand new hand splitter(like a axe but with flanges on the side) just like an Fiscar X37. I have my neighbor standing next to me so he can see what this thing will do and...whack...whack...whack....whack. It's like I'm hitting into a sponge. No splitting...just little cuts into the top of these logs. I wanted to split them where they are so I would'nt have to lug them to the back yard. Too Heavy. Most of these pieces are 12-15 inches across. Some maybe 20. Do I have to let them dry for a period or is the splitter I just bought a piece of...It's 4.4 lbs. It's called a RockForge from Home Depot with a yellow composite handle. Thanx in advance. Jeff

Post some pics in the woodshed forum. As for the maul you're using, its probably not its fault. Green wood af certain species (gum, elm, wet red oak, hickory) will be like hitting a coil spring.
Letting it dry for a bit, it will begin to check on the grain face will aid in hand splitting. I used to stand them up for a few wks to a month, let the sun dry them and had much more success with a maul.
Of course you'll then rent a splitter one day and be sold on purchasing one soon after, and the maul will only be used to resplit some smaller kindling - atleast thats what happend to mine.

Tried and true work in from the outside edges rather than trying to wack em in 1/2

blades said:
Tried and true work in from the outside edges rather than trying to wack em in 1/2

Aww, come one, that's not in the spirit of this forum! You need to buy a splitter right away!!! :)

Ok...started from the outside & worked my way in & it's working! I guess you gotta be smarter than the average bear! Ya'll are so smart! Thanx again! Jeff

Yea work from edges in, but even some oak that size wont split to well with an axe especially if you hit it in the center.

neumsky said:
Ya'll are so smart!
Not me. I merely stand on the shoulders of giants. :smirk:

You guy's are funny too!

So what's you guy's favorite splitter...and are they all hydraulic?

Some like the 6lb mauls the best. Some the 8 pounders.
Some swear by the fiskars.
I liked a 6 lb maul when I was splitting by hand. (Good exercise just hard on an old bad back.)
Best is one that fits you & does the job !!!
Now I have a hydraulic , vertical / horizontal model. (my favorite) :)
With a maul, most wood split easiest when green fresh cut, some types split hard no matter wet or dry. (Hydraulics don't care :) )

I use a splitter fer big jobs, because of the speed and convenience. But for the smaller jobs, or when I get the urge (which has been quite often lately) I get out the old 8lb maul and go to town. I usually hit a big round on the outside edge to get it started, and work my way 'in' the split to finish it off. Once you get 'em busted in half, it's pretty easy (usually). But, I must say, at the end of the day, my favorite splitting tool is the ol' 22 ton Swisher hydraulic ...... ;-P

I split all of my wood with a Fiskar's Splitting Ax, which is about 2.5 pounds but otherwise similar to the splitter you are using. Don't be discouraged. You probably have some difficult wood and you are just gettting started. With experience you'll be able to split almost everything.

I enjoy splitting and cannot see any reason that I need an expensive hydraulic splitter that would be one more gadget to maintain. I should probably mention that I am healthy (no bad back, shoulders, etc.) and not everyone is as fortunate.

Depends on my mood and how much of what kind of splitting I have to get done. I also now have a little electric splitter that works like a charm to do resplitting or whatever indoors as needed during the burning season, obviating the need to fire up the gas/hydraulic. I do enjoy using my hand tools, and I use them frequently, but at my age (63) I find that my strength & endurance are noticeably not what they used to be. So if I have a lot of wood to process, it's hydraulics for me. Rick

Attachments

• splitters.jpg
    splitters.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 337
I think I read all the replies and nobody recommended a wedge. I've split some big maple stuff that had to be wedged at least in half. I have had some pine that would not split easily when it was green. splitting with a wedge will make you accurate at swinging a maul as well.

MarkinNC said:
I think I read all the replies and nobody recommended a wedge. I've split some big maple stuff that had to be wedged at least in half. I have had some pine that would not split easily when it was green. splitting with a wedge will make you accurate at swinging a maul as well.

Must be similar to spruce here, It splits good when it's green & -10°f.
Any other time, big maul & swing hard.
Well, now the hydraulic does a good job too, any time but -10°f :)

I had always split everything with my monster maul (at least 4 to 5 cord a year). Last year after I almost had to go under the knife for the back, I finally bought hydraulic.

Thanx guy's...I'm 54 and don't have what I used to either. But will try what I have for a bit. I kinda like the idea of that manual hydraulic splitter available also. Cheap & uncomplicated. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.