fresh split wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyhigh8000

Feb 2, 2009
N.E. OHIO
first year of wood burning..... cut and split in the spring, most of the wood is still very wet... any tips on the best way to burn it..?? thanks

I have the same problem AND I am almost outta wood. I just burn it hot and enjoy it as much as I can. I have burned very little propain because of it and am having fun.

If you have any smaller, more seasoned splits, get the fire going good with them first then add on your wet stuff. Always keep your flue temps up to burn off as much creosote as possible. And make sure to clean your chimney twice as much. Have fun, enjoy your wood heat, and be safe!!!

Just save it for next year. Should be fine by then.

it happens to everyone ,your first year is always the toughest year for newbie woodburners like us ,you live and learn really quick when you need heat on a cold january frigid night and out of wood or the wood that was supposed ot be seasoned is really still green

Huh... most wood C&S;'ed in spring should be OK. I suppose you could make some smaller splits to encourage a hotter fire. Also many have reported good results by placing splits alone the hearth to quick dry...thought I saw some pics around here.

According to www.brunks.com the recommended fuel for the Firelite is 'Stove Size Bitumonus Coal"

I remember looking at it briefly before I got the Isle Royale. I don't think it was EPA certified, but may be wrong.

Why not go get some coal for the rest of the year and next year burn the wood.

It is no problem burning wood in a coal stove but you should not burn coal in a wood stove.

There should be coal in your area.

derbygreg said:
I don't think it was EPA certified, but may be wrong.
You're correct. There has only been one wood/coal stove ever sold that has the epa certification, the Harman CW-30 "E".

Well fry my hide that's a coal stove? Sure go ahead get some coal...coal is bullet proof, way less dicking around with and hotter. Coal is the answer to your prayers.

I just posted a thread on this issue, go out and find some dead stranding wood, cut it down split and burn, mix with your wet stuff, it burns super hott... the best to get is thestuff that is grey and missing its bark... and it splits easy...

Brunco stopped making the "coal & wood" burners in the late 1980's because of the EPA. atleast thats what they said when I took my firelite down to get reconditioned!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.