1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

fresh split wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by flyhigh8000, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyhigh8000

flyhigh8000 New Member

Loc:
    N.E. OHIO
    first year of wood burning..... cut and split in the spring, most of the wood is still very wet... any tips on the best way to burn it..?? thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. skinnykid

skinnykid New Member

Loc:
    Next to a lake in NH
    I have the same problem AND I am almost outta wood. I just burn it hot and enjoy it as much as I can. I have burned very little propain because of it and am having fun.
  3. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    If you have any smaller, more seasoned splits, get the fire going good with them first then add on your wet stuff. Always keep your flue temps up to burn off as much creosote as possible. And make sure to clean your chimney twice as much. Have fun, enjoy your wood heat, and be safe!!!
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Just save it for next year. Should be fine by then.
  5. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    it happens to everyone ,your first year is always the toughest year for newbie woodburners like us ,you live and learn really quick when you need heat on a cold january frigid night and out of wood or the wood that was supposed ot be seasoned is really still green
  6. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Huh... most wood C&S;'ed in spring should be OK. I suppose you could make some smaller splits to encourage a hotter fire. Also many have reported good results by placing splits alone the hearth to quick dry...thought I saw some pics around here.
  7. derbygreg

derbygreg New Member

Loc:
    Columbus - Hilliard, OH
    According to www.brunks.com the recommended fuel for the Firelite is 'Stove Size Bitumonus Coal"

I remember looking at it briefly before I got the Isle Royale. I don't think it was EPA certified, but may be wrong.

Why not go get some coal for the rest of the year and next year burn the wood.

It is no problem burning wood in a coal stove but you should not burn coal in a wood stove.

There should be coal in your area.
  8. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    You're correct. There has only been one wood/coal stove ever sold that has the epa certification, the Harman CW-30 "E".
  9. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Well fry my hide that's a coal stove? Sure go ahead get some coal...coal is bullet proof, way less dicking around with and hotter. Coal is the answer to your prayers.
  10. xjnuttier

xjnuttier New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    I just posted a thread on this issue, go out and find some dead stranding wood, cut it down split and burn, mix with your wet stuff, it burns super hott... the best to get is thestuff that is grey and missing its bark... and it splits easy...
  11. flyhigh8000

flyhigh8000 New Member

Loc:
    N.E. OHIO
    Brunco stopped making the "coal & wood" burners in the late 1980's because of the EPA. atleast thats what they said when I took my firelite down to get reconditioned!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.